Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Yet another, first try recipe for review

Old 06-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
tryn2brew
On the road again
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Yet another, first try recipe for review

Been making beer and wine for a while, but want to try to make a honey/jam mead. I've been reading a few other threads, and tried to put together a recipe and steps to make it, so please review, and comment. Also, I saw in the sticky at the top of the thread that Potassium Carbonate might be a good additive, yet I don't see it used in any of the threads I've been reading. Any comments on Potassium Carbonate? Should I be adding some or not? You will recognize some of the text from other threads, since I admit I plagiarize....Thanks in advance.

Black Cherry Jam Mead
Recipe: [5 gallons]

Black Cherry Jam 5 lbs (65g of sugar/55g of fruit per 100g)
7 tsp pectic enzyme
gallon water

Honey - 10 lbs
5 tsp black tea (Earl grey)
4 gallons water

10g Lalvin K1-V1116 yeast
12g Rehydration Nutrient - Go-Ferm
167ml water

9.1g Yeast Nutrient - Fermaid-K
9.1g Yeast Energizer - Diammonium phosphate (DAP)
2 Camden tablets
5.5g Potassium Sorbate

Black Cherry Jam 1.87 lbs (back sweetening)
3 tsp pectic enzyme

OG - 1.100 [nominal]; FG - 1.000 [or below]

1) Mix 5 lbs of Jam, 7 tsp of pectic enzyme and gallon of water. Cover and let sit 24-48 hours.
2) Rehydrate the 10g of dry yeast using GO-Ferm in the rehydration water [167 ml water & 12g Go-Ferm]. Caution: Do not use other nutrients! Fermaid-K and DAP should NOT be added to the rehydration water.
3) Prepare the Must by adding 2 gallons of water to a sanitized plastic primary bucket. Then heat another 2 gallons of water to 115F, and remove it from the heat. IMPORTANT: Remove the pan from the heat, or the honey may scorch on the bottom of the pan. Now, add all of the honey to the heated water -mix well. Put some of the hot honey/water back into the honey container to get all the honey out. Mix until all the honey is dissolved. The goal is to thoroughly mix 4 gallons of water with 10 pounds of honey. Stir in the 5 pounds of jam and mix well. Add the warm honey/jam/water mixture to a plastic primary bucket, and then add the Stage 1 Nutrients (4.5g Fermaid-K & 4.5g DAP)- stir-in to dissolve. The honey/jam/water mixture should be a little over 5 gallons. Check the mixture’s temperature and allow it to cool below 80F – install an airlock during this cooling time, and from this point onward.
AFTER the honey/jam/water mixture is BELOW 80F, take a SG / Brix, & temperature reading and record these values with the date and time, then install the primary lid and airlock.
4) Pitch the rehydrated Yeast - Pour the yeast slurry into your cooled mead mixture, and mix it in thoroughly with a sanitized mixing tool (spoon). Put the lid on your primary plastic bucket.
5) Add additional nutrients as follows:
-- Stage 2: At active fermentation (when the Brix drops 2-3)
Add the Stage 2 Nutrients (2.8g Fermaid-K & 2.8g DAP) - stir-in to dissolve.
-- Stage 3: At mid-fermentation (OG+FG)/2, -
Add the Stage 3 Nutrients (1.8g Fermaid-K & 1.8g DAP)- stir-in to dissolve.
6) First Racking (from bucket to carboy)
When SG reaches ~1.000, rack the mead to a clean, sanitized, 5 gallon glass carboy. At 1-3 month intervals, rack the mead off the lees until you have relatively clear mead. Some mead will be left behind and your final volume should be about 4 - 5 gallons. Add 2 tablets Camden and 5.5g Potassium Sorbate to stabilize.
7) Mix 1.87 lbs of Jam, 3 tsp of pectic enzyme and 2 cups of mead from carboy. Cover and let sit 24-48 hours, then add to carboy. Allow to sit 14-21 days.
8) Bottle and age 6-12 months before consumption.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Sounds pretty solid in the approach. I just took a bottle of my strawberry jam mead to my parents and step mother loved it. Mine was a bit sweet for my dad and I but her being a sugar fiend she just loved it. For back sweetening I used 1lb jam per gallon. I just used an even split 1lb in primary and 1lb in secondary.

The only words of caution I can give is that adding the jam to secondary still had a lot of set pectin floating around in my melomel. I had to filter the mead to get a lot out because it would not all settle to the bottom. I even did the same as your step 7 and it helped I am sure but not enough. You may just cut the jam with juice rather that the mead so there is less alcohol to mess up the enzymes. That may help.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:35 AM   #3
tryn2brew
On the road again
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

A lot of my recipe is based upon yours, as you probably noticed. Did you use any Camden in the Jam/Jelly? I didn't, since you didn't mention it, and I'm thinking since it is all processed, it is probably OK without it.

Any input on the 2 tablets Camden and 5.5g Potassium Sorbate to stabilize? Should I plan to use more Camden? Thanks for the input on cutting the jam for the secondary, and thanks for the inspiration...

Current status: Jam, pectic enzyme, and water mixed and sitting in the fermentation chamber at 74 deg F for the next couple of days.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Thank you for the compliments I am glad I have some inspirational recipes. I rarely find I need to use Camden tablets in the primary to stabilize the must. Honey is naturally a anti fungel and bacterial agent on it's own. The only exception I have found to that is in a braggot. Braggots do not seem to do well or it may be because I also caramelized my honey in that batch that went sour many moons ago. Not sure but that dark bochet braggot was a failure and from there forward I used Camden up front with my braggots but I still don't use it for any other meads.

When stabilizing I use 1 crushed tablet per gallon. Your sorbate should be fine. Also I think I am going to revise how I back sweeten. Normally I mix in my back sweetening agent (honey, jam, sugar...) along with the Camden and sorbate all at once. But lately I have had mixed results. I have had two batches still ferment. Very slowly albeit but still fermented. I think about a 12 hour rest between adding the chemicals and then the back sweetening agent will improve results. Just my personal experience.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
tryn2brew
On the road again
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Update:
Started my mead on Wed after letting the pectic enzyme work on the Jam since Sunday.
Starting OG was a bit low at 1.084, and I made a mistake and doubled up on the yeast Nutrient (9g instead of 4.5).
All is bubbling well today (Thursday) in the fermenter at 74 deg F.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
tryn2brew
On the road again
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Moved the mead to a carboy. SG at .995, but I just remembered I didn't add the black tea. Should I still add it? Is the purpose to add tannin?