Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Vacuum Sealers

Old 06-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
wp2145
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Can't recall which vendor. I got fifty and I have used about half over the past few years.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #12
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Necro post-

I bought some 6" Mylar pouches for hop storage. 3.5mil. My foodSaver vac sealer will not adequately seal these bags, and forget about any vacuum effect.

What are others using for Mylar pouches and a foodSaver? I can't find thinner pouches like the commercial vendors and online guys sell. I think they use chamber vac sealers which are costly and bulky however. Should still be able to get the same pouches somewhere? I think thinner material would help.

TD

Old 02-12-2015, 04:32 PM   #13
BargainFittings
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 52 Posts

A Sinbo snorkel style vacuum sealer will handle flat commercial style bags as well as mylar bags.

http://www.amazon.com/Sinbo-DZ-280-V.../dp/B004ZVJ088

I have this vacuum sealer as well as a countertop chamber sealer and they both work well on all types of bags.

They also sell a version of the sinbo that can vacuum seal liquids:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...AZPJ8GNYD5VRN6

Old 02-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #14
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Cool. Do you know how thick the Mylar can be? My foodSaver will not heat seal, nor vacuum purge the 3.5mil pouches I have. The seal is does create will easily open with gentle force if it takes at all. Obviously I'm intending to reseal hop pouches.

Thanks

TD

Old 02-12-2015, 06:03 PM   #15
wardens355
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post
Cool. Do you know how thick the Mylar can be? My foodSaver will not heat seal, nor vacuum purge the 3.5mil pouches I have. The seal is does create will easily open with gentle force if it takes at all. Obviously I'm intending to reseal hop pouches.

Thanks

TD
You can seal Mylar with an iron.

Because I have accumulated Mylar bags, foodsaver bags, and oxygen absorbers, I now use an over-redundant storage process for my hops. I vacuum seal hops in 4-6 oz portions in foodsaver bags with oxygen absorbers, then toss a bunch of those bags in a 1-gallon Mylar bag with another oxygen absorber, then heat seal the Mylar closed with an iron and stainless racking cane or a level.

I think there are two general methods that are sufficient for sealing hops:
1. Vacuum seal in foodsaver bags and store in freezer (using an oxygen absorbers is probably way overkill, but I have so many that I add them anyways).
2. Placing in Mylar bags with an oxygen absorber and heat sealing with an iron (press out as much air as possible before sealing).

Oxygen absorbers are fairly cheap on Amazon. If you have an iron, I would recommend going with number 2 above. When you open the oxygen absorbers, take out only what you need and then toss the rest in a foodsaver bag and vacuum seal for later.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:54 PM   #16
BargainFittings
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post

Thanks

TD
Yes the snorkel sealers will seal if you hold the seal bar long enough.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:29 PM   #17
TungstenBeer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

I use a FoodSaver unit for regular things (meat, fish, etc) as well as brewing things (grain, even though it's overkill). I also have the jar attachment which works well to store hops in the freezer. Ball tells you that their larger mason jars aren't meant to go in the freezer, but I've had no problem storing hops in all sized jars, including their 1/2 gallon size jar. I wouldn't store liquids or anything with much water content in them, though.

I've been very, very happy with it.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #18
hezagenius
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have one of the FoodSaver vacuum sealers and it took me a while to figure out that the bags have to be oriented in a certain direction for them to vacuum seal correctly. If you are vacuum sealing them in the normal orientation (like if you are using a pre-cut bag) everything is fine. If you rotate it 90 degrees, it will not vacuum seal. Drove me crazy until I figured that out.

I use mine for crushed grain that I buy from my local store as well as hops. I plan to start buying hops in bulk and sealing them to save some cash. So far, it has worked great. SWMBO also uses it for food so she can't complain too much about the purchase.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #19
phug
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I've been reading reviews that people have been having trouble getting the smaller sized jars to seal properly. Anyone seeing that?
everything else is in bottles or waiting to be born.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:21 AM   #20
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Thanks. Food Saver is doing most of its duty for food, and SWMBO is happy and proficient with it (more than I am). Just bought the snokel sealer suggested. Seems like it'll be better for my intended purposes. Thanks

TD