1. I use both a hydrometer and a refractomer (mostly because I am still learning to trust the refractomer) They both agreed.
2. By sucrose I mean table sugar. I use it instead of corn sugar because well I'm cheap and its the same stuff as long as you account for the minor difference when you plug it into the formula.
3. I used 2 vials of wlp100. Normally I do use my stir plate and grow a properly sized starter according to mr malty. Technically I under-pitched a bit then I used o2 directly for 1 minute. Fermentation was explosive according to the beer buddy.
4. We actually fermented this a bit on the hot side (budy's house doesn't have a fermentation fridge).
5. I drank one of the bottles after being in the fridge for 24 hours, it was very tasty and was extremely gusharific. It was young and this being a really roasty beer was very roasty...good but it needed more time. I'm not sure what I can do, I''ll have to slap a warning label on the bottles and be careful and open them with a glass nearby.
my buddy already tossed his half of the batch.
6. I in the past always worked on the assumption that 3 weeks and meeting your final projected gravity was fine. I always felt that opening the fermentor to take a gravity added huge risk of infection. I may need to adjust my procedure.
Thanks for all the advice guys and gals.