Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > New York HomeBrew Forum > Brooklyn Wort 2013?

Old 07-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 906 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 741

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorneuron View Post
All that said, I do have a few things going that are not totally straightforward, either--a 100% brett saison, a made-up Kentuckyish common infulenced thing, a Belgian dark strong, and an RIS. If those turn out well, I'll enter them. So if they all wind up weird, I will probably make something hoppy at the last minute (that is, the first week of August) and hope for the best!
I agree that well-brewed beers should come out on top. If there is some part of the rating that is for 'originality', it is probably a smaller percentage and may end up being the tie-breaker.

What are you using in your saison? Commercial yeast or dregs? I've only used 3711 so far and am interested in trying out other yeast options for saisons.

Bottled/Drinking: Apfelwein, Barleywine, Vanilla Rhubarb Mead, Sour Blackberry Cider, Evolution of Funk (Vol's 1+2), Higher Ground Gose, Snow Melt Single, Bench Time Mild, Long Story Short...Quad, BRB Melomel, Fluffy Pantaloons (100% Wheat), Funky Jersey Weisse
Primary/Secondary: Evolution of Funk (Brett Saison solera), Riviere Rouge Flanders Red, Wild Cider, Frankencyser, Fuzzy Math (golden sour w/ peaches), Petite Farmhouse (TYB) + extra runnings (w/ dregs), Funky Pantaloons, Lion Cut Kriek

Old 08-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The date's coming up. You guys know what you are entering?

I'm still bummed I had to back out, but looking forward to the next round already.

Bottled/Drinking: Apfelwein, Barleywine, Vanilla Rhubarb Mead, Sour Blackberry Cider, Evolution of Funk (Vol's 1+2), Higher Ground Gose, Snow Melt Single, Bench Time Mild, Long Story Short...Quad, BRB Melomel, Fluffy Pantaloons (100% Wheat), Funky Jersey Weisse
Primary/Secondary: Evolution of Funk (Brett Saison solera), Riviere Rouge Flanders Red, Wild Cider, Frankencyser, Fuzzy Math (golden sour w/ peaches), Petite Farmhouse (TYB) + extra runnings (w/ dregs), Funky Pantaloons, Lion Cut Kriek

Old 08-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
motorneuron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Yeah, the date is coming up. I am 80% sure that I'll be entering a Belgian dark strong I brewed in June and July, but I'm a little nervous because (for the first time ever) I had a bottle bomb. It was just one bottle, but I am not excited about the prospect of (1) transporting or (2) serving such potentially overcarbonated beer. I think I may have miscalculated my sugar amount, though I have to go back and look at my notes from bottling. Rookie mistake! I do have a backup plan, which is a Belgian IPA.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #14
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Hm, have you checked/tasted other bottles to see how carbonated they are? Haven't brewed a BDSA before, but I thought they are generally aged longer than that.

I had my first bottle bomb recently too, but it wasn't my fault. Brewed a Belgian Wit with a buddy, but he bottles it on his own. Brew is really tasty, it's too bad..

Old 08-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #15
motorneuron
Recipes 

Actually, I did just check another bottle, and it was not at all over-carbed--if anything, it was a little flat. I think it may just be that, in using old bottles, I used a slightly compromised one. But I'm feeling better now that I am pretty sure it's not an epidemic.

I think many Belgian dark strongs are often aged for a while, but because this one is neither extremely strong (~8.5%) nor extremely dark, I think it'll still offer good drinking right away. The flavors are pretty well integrated from what I can tell, not that I have much experience with aged vs young beers of this type. I did very lightly oak it, too, which initially made me think it'd need some more aging, but the oak is subtle enough that it's not a problem.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:00 AM   #16
phishyphriend
Recipes 

Never a poster on HBT, mostly a lurker but saw this thread and since (1) I'm competing in the Brooklyn Wort and (2) my buddy FreshBrew was in here for a minute figured I'd wish you gentlemen/women best of luck next weekend. My first competition as well so I'm looking forward to it. Having just switched over to brewing all grain full time in April I brewed up a bunch of fairly straightforward beers for this back in June/July and decided to enter an American Stout based on JZ's recipe in Brewing Classic Styles. Maybe not as sexy for the "weirdness" factor but I just wanted something good and I think I succeeded to my liking. Ended up with a few cases of decent IPA, Amber and Blonde as a result so no complaints here! We'll see how it shakes out but I'm just looking forward to hanging out and meeting a few folks like yourselves.

Cheers!

Old 09-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #17
motorneuron
Recipes 

Hey, well good luck to you! I also made a few different things, but I ultimately settled on this dark strong. I definitely learned a thing or two about my process and recipe formulation while doing it, not to mention the massive quantity of beer I now have stockpiled. I have no illusions that I'll win anything, but I'm excited to see the range of great homebrew--and to meet nerds, of course!

Old 09-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #18
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sooo, how was it??

Old 09-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #19
phishyphriend
Recipes 

Not going to lie, it was awesome, sorry the timing didn't work out for you but congrats on getting married! I guess it didn't hurt that I got 2nd place in "best of show" and great feedback from the judges and crowd at my first competition. Met motorneuron and enjoyed a dark belgian strong ale as well as many other fine beers, the turn out was great, lots of nice folks and tasty beers! Can't wait until the next competition...cheeers

Old 09-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #20
motorneuron
Recipes 

Hey, congrats on the second place!! I don't know if we actually met--did you meet my girlfriend and co-brewer? My memory might just be dimmed by all the beers I tried. There were some really impressive ones, though I wish I had gotten to try more--personal highlights for me were a rye IPA and the sour wit from up front. I am also happy with the feedback I got from the judges; the scores were pretty good, and they gave me some tips that I agree with. Plus it was a great time! My voice was almost gone by the end, not to mention my palate.