Spruce Tip Saison with Rye and Mosaic Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldenSky

Reaction score
Just harvested new growth tips from a white spruce. Last year I made a Spruce stout, that after 6 months in the bottle tasted great - went light on the spruce, 2 oz at 5 mins, but it was just enough to blend with the sweet dark malts.

This year I am planning a Spruce Tip Saison. I'm curious if anyone else has tried to make one of these, and how it turned out. I'm hoping the dash of Rye will add a little spice to complement the sweet piney flavor of Spruce. Also, please feel free to comment on this recipe even if you've never brewed anything similar:

5 gals. 60 min boil:

3.15 lbs Pilsen LME 60 min
1 oz Czech Saaz 60 min
2.5 lbs Pilsen Lt DME 30 min
1 Lb Rye LME 15 Min
1oz Mosaic Hops 15 min
2oz Spruce Tips 10 min
10 oz Corn Sugar 5 min

Ferment with WYeast French Saison 3711

Considering adding 2 g Grains of Paradise at end of boil, but perhaps the spice from the Rye and Yeast will be enough? Has anyone used the Mosaic specifically as only a 15 min addition?

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/spruce-tip-saison

Haven't made a spruce beer, so can't comment on that. But I have wanted to and our lake place is only about 40 minutes from you.

I have a bunch of white spruce that are budding now. Probably won't get to it till next spring, but I will try the 2 oz at 5 minutes. I'm assuming you used only the very light green new growth?

Yep, I used the bright green new growth tips, wait several days after they shed the brown coverings for them to ripen. The five minute addition added very subtle sweet-pine flavor, so I'm going to try the same amount at ten minutes this time. Let me know if you're up this way, I've got about a pound of spruce tips dried in the freezer...

I see 44 views but only one response. I'm planning to brew this Sunday, so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Also, I am considering saving my mosaic hops for a future IPA, and bittering this one with Hallertau, then add the Saaz at 15; any thoughts on that?

thanks!

Mosaic is very topical. I think Saaz and hallertau will pair better with spruce, I'd add the spruce at flameout. Ok, I wouldn't use spruce, but if I did, I'd add it a flameout. You get more flavor from adding spices post boil.

Thanks. I'm thinking Mosaic specifically for its fruit notes, as I won't be adding any orange peel that is typical with a Saison. Good thought on the spruce at flameout - would you leave it to steep while the wort cools, or just for a few minutes? Most pro-brewed spruce recipes I've seen use the spruce anywhere from 15-60 mins, but I'm gradually working into it as I don't want too much spruce flavor, just a little to compliment the rye and saison yeast...

Orange peel isn't typical for a saison. Ommegang Henneping has orange peel, but that's not a typical saison. I have no idea where the homebrewer notion of saison = orange peel came from, but I'm on a one man mission to stop it. :D

I'd just leave the spruce in. If you don't want a bunch of spruce flavor, I'd look at using less than 2oz. What do some other recipes call for? Have you had anything with mosaic? I really don't see it going with spruce at all. I don't think orange/spruce sounds good, but Motueka is very citrus. I get orange, some say lemon/lime.

True, when it comes to Saison - nothing is "typical". But I've had several commercial beers, along with several homebrews, using orange peel in a Saison, and think it is a good flavor. But this is why we brew correct?-so we can design beers specific to our tastes.

Motueka is a good thought, I used it in a tropical lager over the winter and found the flavor pleasing. Have you ever used Mosaic as the only flavoring hop addition?
-thanks

Oh, and the most reputable brew reference I've seen for spruce tips uses up to 8 ounces at 15 mins for a 5 gallon batch. Sounds like more than I'm looking for though...

Update.
This beer has been in secondary 9 days. Most noticeable flavor/aroma is the spruce. It is slightly astringent - perhaps from tannins leaked in by the needles, but I am confident this will subside. Thinking about bottling half in another two weeks, then aging the other half with some French oak cubes...

Going to try to resurrect this thread. Just made a rye saison and spruce tips will be ready to pick soon. Maybe going to make a spruce tea and add to secondary.

Any more to report on how the spruce turned out? Would you change amounts or times?

BrotherBock

Thanks for the resurrection!
This is a beer I brew once a year, and is a favorite of all my friends and fellow homebrewers.
I have revised the recipe slightly since inception.

Not sure what size you're doing, so I'll give specs for a 5 gal batch.

No steeping grains - want this beer clear and focused on the spruce with mosaic.

3.5 lbs Pilsen light LME - 45 min boil
2 lbs Rye LME - 10 min boil

1 oz Czech Saaz - 45 mins
3 oz Mosaic - 10 mins
4 oz Spruce tips - 5 mins

Yeast: 60% Belgian Saison, 40% French Saison

For the spruce tips, wait until the "Pine cone-like" shell splits away and reveals the irridescent green new growth needles. These should pop off the tree easily like removing hops from the bine. You can dry them and freeze, but are best fresh within 24 hrs from harvest.

I've never tried the tea, but have been please with the results of a late boil addition.

Best,
-Golden Sky

I'm planning a spruce ipa next weekend. I'm surprised you're only using 2 ounces. Most recipes I've read recommend using at least a pint. (They recommend measuring by volume because the water in the tips can be so variable).

I'm planning the following:
6.6 Lb Pale Ale LME
8 oz crystal
4 oz flaked oats

1 cup spruce tips, 60 min
.5 oz Northern Brewer, 60 min
.5 oz Southern Cross, 60 min
.5 oz Northern Brewer, 15 min
.5 oz Southern Cross, 15 min
1 cup Spruce Tips, 5 min
2 oz Northern Brewer, flameout
2 oz Southern Cross, flameout