Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry hops. Does this look right?

Old 06-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
HokieHomeBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Dry hops. Does this look right?

So I dry hopped for the first time....my LHBS recommended 2 oz ofwhole leaf (which I've never used before) and when I asked about bagging with a weight he said, "Nah if you're using a bucket just toss them in." So that's what I did. I let it sit for 7 days and opened my bucket and saw this....I didn't expect them to "sink" but I had expected more absorption. Does this look typical or should I have gone the bag route? Cheers.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Heavywalker
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I would think the hops would need to be in contact with the beer for the oils to be extracted, maybe the hops on the top did not do anything for your brew???

Old 06-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
HokieHomeBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavywalker View Post
I would think the hops would need to be in contact with the beer for the oils to be extracted, maybe the hops on the top did not do anything for your brew???

That's what I was thinking. I picked up a few from the top and they were semi-damp but who knows. I'm not that worried, it tastes fine and at works I guess I wasted an ounce of hops?

I'm more concerned about getting the technique down correctly so I can do it better next time.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 18

A lot of people bag them and weigh down the bag with a sanitized stainless steel ball bearing or marble. It's a good way to make sure all of your hops get down in the beer.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 512 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 295

I DO put my whole hops in a bag in my bucket because I loathe getting stuck siphons, and on top of that I'll actually crush the hops up a little in their original packaging prior to putting into the hop bag. Additionally, I used a sanitized spoon to push the bag under several times to ensure good beer-hop contact for the duration. An added benefit is that I'm able to pull the bag out before transferring and squeeze the extra beer out (if I'm so inclined).

Old 06-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Johnnyhitch1
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I bag ALL hop additions, just helps with trub reduction at the end.

Primary:DUST
Kegged:AIR
BOTTLES:

Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 572

Any reason they recommended whole hops? I like pellets personally, I think they're easier to deal with.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
I like pellets personally, I think they're easier to deal with.
I always dry hop with pellets too.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
HokieHomeBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZymurgist View Post
Any reason they recommended whole hops? I like pellets personally, I think they're easier to deal with.

I have no idea...when he recommended whole leaf I mentioned I was hesitant to use them as they seem to be messy and absorb a lot of liquid. He mentioned that was part of the process, can't be avoided or something a long those lines. I walked in with the mindset that I was going to be dry hopping with a bag of pellets and walked out with 2 ounces of whole leaf with the instructions of just "throwing them in."

As it was my first attempt at dry hopping I guess I just took his answers at face value and went along with it.

Oh and these were a pain in the ass to siphon around by the way. On the plus side at least I didn't lose a lot of beer to absorption and since I used a large amount of late addition during the brewing process I still have quite a straight hop profile.

Next time I'll be bagging though.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 572

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/didn...htmare-361255/

You're not kidding about them being a PITA. Not worth the trouble in my opinion. I've never been able to distinguish between beers that use pellet or whole hops, so I figure go with what's easiest.