Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Can I use GT'S to start a SCOBY?

Old 07-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
00p
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That's awesome. I started mine about three days ago. I'm seeing sloooooowwwwwww signs of life. A few bubbles (CO2?) and a few new strands hanging off the baby (heard it's dead yeast?). Anyway, your pic gives me hope. Beautiful!

Old 07-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
Bluespark
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

I tried this, and nothing. Nice fresh brewed tea, organic sugar, and it took FOREVER to do anything. I finally bought a scoby and its going great now.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
luke_d
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts

That's strange, I've heard it works for the most part. Well, here's an updates picture. It's almost an inch thick!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4088957788.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	135662

Old 09-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
BethelLight
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I have two 2.5 gallon dispensers each with 1" multiple generation scobys in them (I do the continuous method). They both came from a starter I made from a bottle of GT's and a quart ball jar.

So the answer is yes but it will take longer. It took me almost a month to get a decent scoby on it. If your in a hurry I would get one by other means.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:56 PM   #15
Ruthie
Recipes 

My first Scoby I grew from a bottle of GT's original flavor (I don't recall if it was enlightened or not) and after I grew the mother for about 3 weeks I was able to brew 'bucha! So yes you can do it (I should've mentioned that I did this last January)

From my experience though kombucha from a homegrown scoby will develop a lot slower than one you find on craigslist (I haven't brewed kombucha long enough to know if it gets stronger over time). I had accidentally cooked my grown scoby not too long ago. So I bought one on craigslist that was waaay way way more active.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #16
orillian
Recipes 

I can't remember the name of it(I'll try and update if I can find the bottle in the recycling.), but I bought a bottle of some organic ginger green tea kombucha from a local coffee shop.

I brewed up a dark, Pu-erh tea, 60 minute steep using 3 tablespoons of tea in 2 quarts of boiling water(Cooled to 170 degrees before adding tea). I then let the temp get below 80 added 3/4 cups of raw cane sugar and dumped in the mini scoby from the store bought tea along with the yeast in the bottom of the bottle. I stuck it in the pantry and waited.

Within 10 days I had an 1/4 - 1/8th of an inch scoby and a really solventy smelling tea. :P I tossed that out and thoroughly cleaned the scoby and dropped it on top of a new batch made the same way.

Notes:
Time for second batch: 5 days.
Results: Nice bubbly Kombucha with a great Pu-erh earthyness and a bit of sweet and sour.
Scoby: Creamy blue/white on top, tea stained on the bottom. overall about 1/8th of an inch thick. 6 inches diameter.
Average house temperature: 76.4 degrees. Low: 74.7, High: 83.1 degrees. <---someone forgot to turn on the AC.

BTW: Long steeped Pu-erh tea is some crazy good stuff, Pu-erh tea doesn't get as tannin heavy as other teas so you don't get the bitterness associated with other blacks or even a green that's steeped to long.

Regards,
O.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #17
Billy-Klubb
HBT Berry Puncher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4203 Times on 2541 Posts
Likes Given: 7633

my GT's SCOBY is finally showing signs of life! started the build up on 9-14-13.
"If ceramic squirrels are banned, only druks will have ceramic squirrels!"

Old 09-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #18
bratrules
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Here is my scoby its six days old. The pic is not that clear ( my dumb cell phone). This is my first experience with kombucha making but from what a read my scoby is growing great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130921_174213.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	149599
Old 09-22-2013, 01:38 AM   #19
bratrules
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Oh also i should have stated that i grew it from a bottle of GT original. I just dumped the bottle on top of two cups of sweet black tea that i had in a sun tea jar. And six days later sitting at 75 degrees or so there it is!! I think i got two more weeks so i can brew a full batch. But i just going to dump the new batch on top of this one minus a cup or so of the old KT.