Failed So Hard - No Bottle Caps - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Failed So Hard - No Bottle Caps

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
Jarov
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 49
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts



So I just threw my priming sugar in the bottling bucket with all of my beer, and then found out I had no bottling caps.................... I'm so mad at myself, luckily I have a local home brew supply shop, and they open at 10. Should I add just a touch more priming sugar when I bottle the beer? The beer will be sitting on that priming sugar for about 12 hours.
__________________
Next: Vanilla Cream Ale
Primary: None
Secondary:
Bottled: Spiced Imperial Stout, Imperial Pale Ale, West Coast Cascade Imperial IPA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
KeystoneHomebrew
 
KeystoneHomebrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Montgomeryville, PA
Posts: 351
Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts


I would put the lid and airlock on the bucket (assuming it is a bucket) and let it sit a couple of days. Let the sugar ferment out and purge the air.

Then rinse and repeat.
__________________
Got a Question? Always happy to help. Just shoot me a message.

2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:27 AM   #3
Jarov
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 49
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by KeystoneHomebrew View Post
I would put the lid and airlock on the bucket (assuming it is a bucket) and let it sit a couple of days. Let the sugar ferment out and purge the air.

Then rinse and repeat.
Thats a good idea, and that was the first thing I did, when I realized I had no caps, I cleaned and sanitized a lid and airlock and threw that on. Luckily the movement of the beer during racking disturbed it enough to degass a bit of the co2, so the airlock is bubbling nicely and soon a layer of co2 will blanket the beer, so I doubt oxidization will happen. So I guess I'll be waiting a bit before bottling, damn me... hahahaha.
__________________
Next: Vanilla Cream Ale
Primary: None
Secondary:
Bottled: Spiced Imperial Stout, Imperial Pale Ale, West Coast Cascade Imperial IPA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:06 AM   #4
KeystoneHomebrew
 
KeystoneHomebrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Montgomeryville, PA
Posts: 351
Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts


Always trust your instincts! Ha ha, part of the hobby. I could share war stories to last a year.
__________________
Got a Question? Always happy to help. Just shoot me a message.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:41 AM   #5
shutupjojo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
shutupjojo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
dundee, Oregon
Posts: 471
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts


You should be punished for this.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Solway, MN
Posts: 9,799
Liked 1777 Times on 1410 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarov View Post
Thats a good idea, and that was the first thing I did, when I realized I had no caps, I cleaned and sanitized a lid and airlock and threw that on. Luckily the movement of the beer during racking disturbed it enough to degass a bit of the co2, so the airlock is bubbling nicely and soon a layer of co2 will blanket the beer, so I doubt oxidization will happen. So I guess I'll be waiting a bit before bottling, damn me... hahahaha.
You are correct that CO2 will quickly blanket the beer but the reason the airlock is bubbling is that you added a simple sugar and the yeast are eating it up and expelling CO2, the same CO2 that would have carbonated your beer in the bottles. Let the yeast consume all this sugar and start over with the priming and you'll be good to go.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
Jarov
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 49
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
You are correct that CO2 will quickly blanket the beer but the reason the airlock is bubbling is that you added a simple sugar and the yeast are eating it up and expelling CO2, the same CO2 that would have carbonated your beer in the bottles. Let the yeast consume all this sugar and start over with the priming and you'll be good to go.
No, the fermentation wouldn't be that aggressive and wouldn't trigger that early. All of the co2 from the previous fermentation doesn't escape the beer, like wine, a lot of the co2 is trapped in the liquid, and when it gets disturbed, the co2 begins to escape. When I moved my beer from the closet to the kitchen counter, before racking or adding priming sugar, the airlock began bubbling every 15-20 seconds, just because the beer was disturbed enough for some of the co2 gas to escape.
__________________
Next: Vanilla Cream Ale
Primary: None
Secondary:
Bottled: Spiced Imperial Stout, Imperial Pale Ale, West Coast Cascade Imperial IPA

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Failed Hard Cider? yewtah-brewha Fermentation & Yeast 2 01-10-2013 04:07 PM
Failed Bottle Carbing ... again maztec Bottling/Kegging 30 05-26-2010 06:45 PM
Failed Hard srb3189 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 04-18-2010 02:09 PM
Any Fix for Failed Bottle Carbonation? J8D Bottling/Kegging 2 09-12-2009 11:54 PM
Bottle carb failed - what to do? dgobrew Cider Forum 8 01-04-2008 10:41 PM


Forum Jump