Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Flavoring beer!!

Old 06-04-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
afreitag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Default Flavoring beer!!

I am going to make a wheat beer pretty soon. I want to make it raspberry. How do I do that with fruit extracts or purees? Which one is better?

Old 06-04-2013, 02:05 AM   #2
Brewcrew02
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Secondary onto a puree. It's awesome.

"Gave my 500ml Pacman starter that I made last night a hug and wished it a good day before I headed off to work. He's growing up so fast!! Will be a 2liter starter by Saturday and will probably start ignoring me, think he knows it all and end up knocking up some skanky belgain strain before I know it." ~BigTerp

Old 06-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
Iceman6409
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Just my two cents. I made a Purple Haze clone last year and I chose raspberry extract for my flavorings. F'n outstanding taste in my and everyone I gave it to

Old 06-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman6409 View Post
Just my two cents. I made a Purple Haze clone last year and I chose raspberry extract for my flavorings. F'n outstanding taste in my and everyone I gave it to
I was surprised, I used LD Carlson's Raspberry Extract in my Bitter Chocolate Raspberry Belgian Porter, adding the bottle when I racked it to the keg, and it was amazing.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
zmanzorro
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Would there be any merit in trying to make a tincture with fresh fruit to achieve the same thing? I've played around with tinctures for spices and dried ingredients, but would it be pointless with whole fruit?

- Martin Luther

Old 06-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
TVM71
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use the extract and have had great results. I do an occasional Raspberry Wheat (bottle) and a regular rotation of a Strawberry Ale (keg). For the Strawberry Ale, I usually grab a Brewers Best American Light kit, ferment as instructed and add 6oz of the extract when kegging and haven't had a negative review on it yet.

Cheers!

Old 06-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
deason
Recipes 

got a recipe for Bitter Chocolate Raspberry Belgian Porter? Sounds delicious

Old 06-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 331 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman6409 View Post
How much extract did you end up using and how strong did the flavor come out? I brewed a Belgian table beer and I think a hint of fruit flavor would be awesome in it.