Ready to bottle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scobysurfer

Reaction score
Its been 2 weeks since I began my first batch and it is now ready for bottling! I got the pH tested this past Friday and it was at 2.3, I'm still awaiting a digital pH meter but I am certain it is now ready for bottling. The scoby is about 3/8ths of an inch and I don't taste any sweetness. I intend on experimenting with dried fruit, fresh fruit and juices with different bottles.

mfYqSCF.jpg

j0FkGMj.jpg

Quick question, should I split up the new mother scoby or should I leave it as is?

Congrats! You can split the mother/baby or leave as is, another will form with next batch. This would be an ideal time to share a scoby with a friend. How large is that container? Where did the label come from?

Its been 3 weeks since I began my first batch and it is now ready for bottling! I got the pH tested this past Friday and it was at 2.3, I'm still awaiting a digital pH meter but I am certain it is now ready for bottling. The scoby is about 3/8ths of an inch and I don't taste any sweetness. I intend on experimenting with dried fruit, fresh fruit and juices with different bottles.

pH=2.3 seem pretty darned acidic. Must taste like strong vinegar.

Just curious why you would go below ph=3.0 or let it ferment for much more than 7-10 days?

Congrats! You can split the mother/baby or leave as is, another will form with next batch. This would be an ideal time to share a scoby with a friend. How large is that container? Where did the label come from?

That's exactly what I intend on doing. The container is 1 gallon and its a kit from Brooklyn Kombucha, it came with their label on it already.

pH=2.3 seem pretty darned acidic. Must taste like strong vinegar.

Just curious why you would go below ph=3.0 or let it ferment for much more than 7-10 days?

The instructions that came with my kit suggested fermenting would take between 14-28 days, so I did the former (I stated 3 weeks originally, but I figured out that it was actually just 2 weeks).

I don't have a pH meter so I wasn't able to be on top of it like I would of, my guess is that it was probably at 2 at bottling or very close to it. It wasn't that bad, it already had some natural effervescence and I went a little heavier with the flavoring; I have a couple bottles with 30% juice.

Back