Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Does anyone have any info on these pots? JARHILL 96/70 QT Stainless Steel Stock Pots

Old 06-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
D_Nyholm
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I talked with him and he said he is ordering a pallet of 50, 70, and 96 qt pots. The 50s would be great for a standard pot with a lot of room to spare.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #12
BoomerRox
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
I talked with him and he said he is ordering a pallet of 50, 70, and 96 qt pots. The 50s would be great for a standard pot with a lot of room to spare.
Did he mention when they would be available again?

Anyone that received them have feedback on quality?

I'm so bummed I missed the original deal.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #13
D_Nyholm
Recipes 

Still haven't recieved mine yet. I'll let you know how they are when I get them. He didn't give an ETA on when he was getting them, but if you keep an eye on ebay, i'm sure they will show up soon. The ebay name is jarhillusa so you can keep an eye.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #14
D_Nyholm
Recipes 

Got my pots today and they seem to be pretty decent. I would say they are just as thick, if not a little thicker than my Williams brewing pot that I had beforehand. The polish looks really nice and the quality seems nice. The 96 at is HUGE I can easily fit my 3 year old inside of it

If anyone wants any pics of any part in particular, let me know.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #15
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Got my pots today and they seem to be pretty decent. I would say they are just as thick, if not a little thicker than my Williams brewing pot that I had beforehand. The polish looks really nice and the quality seems nice. The 96 at is HUGE I can easily fit my 3 year old inside of it

If anyone wants any pics of any part in particular, let me know.
Have you brewed with them yet? Are they thick enough to take weldless fittings?

Old 07-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #16
D_Nyholm
Recipes 

I brewed with one of the pots so far and just used a siphon to get everything out. They seem sturdy enough and I have a weldless fitting to put into it when I get a chance. It should be fine but I am certain it will be a little flexy at the fitting, but my other pot was the same way and didn't have any leaks or troubles.

I did boil water in the pot for about 30 minutes prior to brewing to condition the pot and burn anything off. When I brewed, I noticed the foam seemed grey. I do not know it had something to do with stuff coming off of the pot or not. Also, the sludge line really burned into the pot. I had aluminum before and i am not certain if it is safe to take steel wool to a stainless pot? I couldn't get it off with a regular sponge and it is a bunch of black, hard specks around the boil line.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #17
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
I brewed with one of the pots so far and just used a siphon to get everything out. They seem sturdy enough and I have a weldless fitting to put into it when I get a chance. It should be fine but I am certain it will be a little flexy at the fitting, but my other pot was the same way and didn't have any leaks or troubles.

I did boil water in the pot for about 30 minutes prior to brewing to condition the pot and burn anything off. When I brewed, I noticed the foam seemed grey. I do not know it had something to do with stuff coming off of the pot or not. Also, the sludge line really burned into the pot. I had aluminum before and i am not certain if it is safe to take steel wool to a stainless pot? I couldn't get it off with a regular sponge and it is a bunch of black, hard specks around the boil line.
DO NOT use steel wool. The steel wool is carbon steel and will impregnate the stainless with iron causing it to rust. Bar Keepers Friend (commonly BKF) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V72992 is what you want. Will make it look brand new!

Old 07-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #18
headwall
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

2nd on Bar Keepers Friend. That stuff is like magic.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #19
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Thread necromancy!

Would any owners care to chime in on how they like these pots? Same ebay store now has 96/70/49 pot combos going for $69.99.

I missed out on the roundeyesupply pots when they were at a decent price; these look to be pretty similar. I could buy a few combos and then sell the smaller pots on the cheap to buddies or raffle them off for the homebrew club .

Old 08-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #20
Spellman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I am wondering about these as well. The listing says that they are 410 ss 18/0, which as I understand isn't quite as corrosion resistant. Could that be the dark boil line? This combo and price is almost too good to be true.