First sour - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > First sour

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2013, 02:17 AM   #21
Rys06Tbss
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Yorkville, Illinois
Posts: 380
Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts


SOOOO.... Should I pitch more then one dreg. Or do you think that will be good enough. This beer is going to get really expensive if I have to continue to buy 14 dollar beers to pitch dregs into.
__________________
My blog. All things Ryan

DeathBase Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:27 AM   #22
TNGabe
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 6,653
Liked 2281 Times on 1538 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rys06Tbss View Post
SOOOO.... Should I pitch more then one dreg. Or do you think that will be good enough. This beer is going to get really expensive if I have to continue to buy 14 dollar beers to pitch dregs into.
I bet the one fresh La Roja will do it. I pitched a 3 yr old JP bottle's dregs last week and the beer is active already.
__________________
The only thing worse than dumping beer is serving beer you should have dumped.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:42 AM   #23
eastoak
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
oakland, california
Posts: 3,294
Liked 159 Times on 149 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rys06Tbss View Post
SOOOO.... Should I pitch more then one dreg. Or do you think that will be good enough. This beer is going to get really expensive if I have to continue to buy 14 dollar beers to pitch dregs into.
one bottle should be fine. you could also put a couple of cups of wort into the bottle, wait a week or two then pitch the whole thing. this beer might be in the fermentor for 8 months to a yr (or more) so a bit whatever weird looking things you see along the way are just part of the process.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:22 AM   #24
Rys06Tbss
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Yorkville, Illinois
Posts: 380
Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts


So I seem to have a bunch of bigger bubbles forming. Should good right?
__________________
My blog. All things Ryan

DeathBase Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #25
dcHokie
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Washington, DC
Posts: 1,595
Liked 257 Times on 195 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rys06Tbss View Post
So I seem to have a bunch of bigger bubbles forming. Should good right?
Yep, quite likely just a pellicle forming.
__________________
so many sour things

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #26
Rys06Tbss
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Yorkville, Illinois
Posts: 380
Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts


I bought some French oak spirals at the brew store yesterday. I was talking to the owner about this beer which he is fairly excited to try and he suggested that I rack to a secondary at about a month, my next question is when I should i add the oak, does the flavor dissipate over time and should I brew another flanders with the yeast cake in my primary or just wash it jar it and wait. I wasn't planning on blending but I guessing could. The second batch will be more sour right?
__________________
My blog. All things Ryan

DeathBase Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #27
eastoak
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
oakland, california
Posts: 3,294
Liked 159 Times on 149 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rys06Tbss View Post
I bought some French oak spirals at the brew store yesterday. I was talking to the owner about this beer which he is fairly excited to try and he suggested that I rack to a secondary at about a month, my next question is when I should i add the oak, does the flavor dissipate over time and should I brew another flanders with the yeast cake in my primary or just wash it jar it and wait. I wasn't planning on blending but I guessing could. The second batch will be more sour right?
i leave my sours on the yeast the whole time as is traditionally done with sours in belgium. if you are going to move it a month is kind of quick in my view, the bugs would love to stay in there doing their buggy thing for a while. oak can be added at any time, if you were fermenting in a barrel it would be on oak right away. as far as the second batch being more sour that is what i hear but i have not been able to detect a big difference but that is only my experience.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #28
Rys06Tbss
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Yorkville, Illinois
Posts: 380
Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts


So at what time would I need to add the oak. I'm guessing at anytime or should I just wait
__________________
My blog. All things Ryan

DeathBase Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:44 AM   #29
eastoak
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
oakland, california
Posts: 3,294
Liked 159 Times on 149 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rys06Tbss View Post
So at what time would I need to add the oak. I'm guessing at anytime or should I just wait

any time you want to.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:17 AM   #30
Rys06Tbss
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Yorkville, Illinois
Posts: 380
Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts


I have some a nice little haze starting to form on the surface. This is starting to get exciting. It's also down to 1.010
__________________
My blog. All things Ryan

DeathBase Brewery

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sour Mash - Wort Isn't Sour scruff311 Lambic & Wild Brewing 11 02-01-2013 08:50 PM
Sour Cherry and Sour Apple Berliner Weisse experiment stblindtiger Lambic & Wild Brewing 10 07-21-2012 12:54 AM
7 weeks in bottle, sour sour sour! 418Brewing Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 08-06-2011 04:11 PM
Question about sour beer that shouldn't be sour Sreidy12 Fermentation & Yeast 11 10-05-2010 06:16 PM
Left keg in hot garage, now it is sour? (but sour in a good way) Erik53 Bottling/Kegging 1 09-26-2010 06:35 PM


Forum Jump