Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Is this worth the money?

Old 06-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
bcmeyer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Is this worth the money?

I'm a new brewer (been brewing for about a year). Right now I do extract batches on a stove top, but I am ready to move to all grain. I watch craigs list (especially for corny kegs) and I came across this brew rack and accessories.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/for/3804479847.html

I figured I would need a bigger brew pot and an outdoor burner when I went to all grain. The $1,100 price is steep, so I wanted to hear what you guys thought before I showed interest in this.

Assuming all the equipment is in good condition and there are no leaks...
1. How does the price compare with the amount of equipment. Is it a great deal, reasonably priced, or a rip off?
2. Would the learning curve be steep to learn how to use the rack? (I'd probably ask the seller to help me with it, or maybe do a batch with me to get it.)
3. Is there equipment that I would need for all grain brewing besides whats shown? (I know a wort chiller, but I could make that).
4. Any other thoughts! Again, this would be a huge purchase, so I definitely want to hear all angles. Maybe I just need to be talked down from the ledge, or told to jump in!

Thanks for any help!

Old 06-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
billl
Recipes 

Liked 318 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm sure it is a cool rig, but it is way more than you actually need. Unless you have money to burn, you can get buy with way less equipment for way less money.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
i4ourgot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

its pricey but thats just how those systems are its not a rip off but like billl says you can get by with much less. That would be great for making 10 gallon batches and it looks pretty bad ass. If you have the money than why not you might even be able to talk him down a little.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 25

You don't need all that.......But if money is no issue go for it !

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Old 06-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
bcmeyer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ya I guess you guys are right. That would be a lot of money. Even though it would be a one time purchase and I could reuse it, it still pricey. I'm still young so I'll probably keep slowly building up my equipment, and then maybe later buying or building a rack.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
Lab_Rat
Recipes 

The lister is probably asking what they spent. You could build it with all new equipment for what they are asking.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You could build it for less but is your time worth the $$?

Building it yourself will be about $200 - $300 cheaper.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #8
pfgonzo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 77

My $0.02. $1,100 is actually a decent price, especially if you're not a welder and don't have a welding buddy to make a stand for free/cheap for you.

By the time you get a stand, the burners, the pumps, 3 sanke kegs (with cut tops, and fittings), and all the other fittings, you could easily spend more. You can certainly do it for less, especially with some bargain shopping and waiting for sales, but if you are looking to upgrade, and have the money, that's not a bad deal.

[Edit 1] Besides, it's Craig's List. There still may be some haggling room!

Old 06-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #9
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmeyer View Post
I'm a new brewer (been brewing for about a year). Right now I do extract batches on a stove top, but I am ready to move to all grain. I watch craigs list (especially for corny kegs) and I came across this brew rack and accessories.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/for/3804479847.html

I figured I would need a bigger brew pot and an outdoor burner when I went to all grain. The $1,100 price is steep, so I wanted to hear what you guys thought before I showed interest in this.

Assuming all the equipment is in good condition and there are no leaks...
1. How does the price compare with the amount of equipment. Is it a great deal, reasonably priced, or a rip off?
you could buy new for $1100

its a rip off. lots of people want what they paid for used equipment.
3 keggles from homebrewing.org
a stand
3 cheap cup burners and a pump isn't worth $1100 used. offer $500

Old 06-04-2013, 12:29 AM   #10
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 23

If I were in the market (and couldnt DIY) I'd expect to pay $400 - $500 for it depending on how those SS welds look. After all, it's recycled bed frames and other pieces (maybe $200 in welding labor, being generous); 3 keggles with fittings $125 each; a $150 pump; and some ancillary pieces. I doubt the seller has $800 in it total.