Final Gravity: Am I close enough? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Final Gravity: Am I close enough?

Old 06-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
Cheesy_Goodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2013
Chapin, SC
Liked 868 Times on 469 Posts

I was all psyched and ready to bottle my first batch today, but my final gravity is a few points higher than the range indicated on the recipe.

The recipe (extract Belgian style) only called for it to sit in the primary for about a week, but I let it go an extra week to clear up (and boy I'm glad I did). I took my reading today and it came in at about 1.018. The FG range on the recipe calls for 1.010 - 1.015. OG on the recipe called for 1.050-1.055 and I was right in there on brew day.

Should I sweat a few gravity points? If I bottle today should I ease off a bit on the priming sugar?

Old 06-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & air gun shooter
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3707 Times on 3179 Posts

Give it another week to see if it finishes up. It may even have stalled if it's clearing.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 06-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
Cheesy_Goodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2013
Chapin, SC

Thanks for the reply.

When I took a reading last week (which I of course did not write down), it was still pretty cloudy, but it has cleared up beautifully since then. Does that matter?

Also, if I keep checking the gravity and it's the same for a few days in a row, does that mean it's finished, or can it still change?

Old 06-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
dcodd87
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Let it sit

The best tip for any home brewer is PATIENCE!

After the first 2-3 batches you'll learn that just letting it do its thing is the best thing you can do. I've had a few batches that seemed to stall and then pick back up.

Any ideas for the next?

Old 06-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
grem135

Recipes 

May 2012
St. Louis, Mo.
Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesy_Goodness View Post
Thanks for the reply.

When I took a reading last week (which I of course did not write down), it was still pretty cloudy, but it has cleared up beautifully since then. Does that matter?

Also, if I keep checking the gravity and it's the same for a few days in a row, does that mean it's finished, or can it still change?
Dont need a few days in a row, just the same a few days apart.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
JohnK93
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Danbury, CT
Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts

I've also heard that giving the fermenting bucket a very gentle swirl (being careful not to aerate) can give the yeast a little nudge. It seems to me just the act of taking the lid off the bucket can be enough of a swirl. I tend to do this, although I don't know if it really does anything.
On Deck: Lucy's ESB

Old 06-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
hops2it
Recipes 

May 2011
Des Moines, IA
Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

If you were fermenting at a fairly cool temp, you could also try bumping the temp up by 4 or 5 degrees. That might help it finish. Either way, I'd wait another week and see what gives.

Cheesy_Goodness Likes This 
Old 06-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8031 Times on 5610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesy_Goodness View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, if it's the same after at least three days, then it's done and you can bottle it.

Cheesy_Goodness Likes This 
Old 06-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
Cheesy_Goodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2013
Chapin, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcodd87 View Post
Let it sit

The best tip for any home brewer is PATIENCE!

After the first 2-3 batches you'll learn that just letting it do its thing is the best thing you can do. I've had a few batches that seemed to stall and then pick back up.
Damn, patience is my least favorite virtue

Looks like I'll be checking readings for a few days and shoot for (hope for) a bottling day of Thursday or Friday.
Thanks folks, much appreciated

Old 06-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
soapy45
Recipes 

Mar 2013
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I have a similar question. I started an IPA three weeks ago today. The OG was 1.060. We racked to secondary a week later and took another reading, 1.010. Today we got another 1.010, but I still see bubbles in the vial we use to take the sample. I'm thinking I should wait another week to see if the bubbles stop.