Beginner Upgrades?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wakeboarder

Reaction score
So I just started brewing a few weeks ago and have done 2 batches so far. I got the brewers best kit to start and added a wort chiller and extra fermentation bucket. I jumped right into kegging and have 4 ball locks with picnic taps, a freezer from craigslist, and a temp controller.

What upgrades/extra supplies do you think I could use? I have about $200 to spend to complement my equipment.

I was thinking 2 extra buckets, a glass carboy or 2, and an extra thermometer and hydrometer?

Any thoughts/opinions are greatly appreciated :)

I would get a very accurate thermometer and something for fermentation temperature control. For me, a glass carboy will NEVER be on my list. - TOO DANGEROUS -

If you have bucket fermenters,get a lid opening tool. Makes getting those tight lids off way easier. Def get a hydrometer if you don't have one. An extra one dosen't hurt either. I use one floating thermometer & one dial type. But I do partial mash beers,& need two at a time. Extra airlocks can come in handy. I also save & clean the hop & grain sacks from kits. They're great for pellet or whole leaf hops. And of course PBW & Starsan. A SS collander is good for draining grains. An erlynmeyer flask for starters or rehydrating yeast.

Are you doing extract or all-grain? If extract, and if you want to do all-grain recipes, for $200 you could put together a nice mash tun and maybe have some left over to put towards a bigger kettle or burner. That's what I'm saving towards right now, anyway. I have the mash tun, but can't do a full boil yet.

John

I can tell you the best investments I've made as far as improving the quality of my beer were a fermentation chamber (old ugly garage fridge with dual stage controller) and a stir plate for making yeast starters. I think both of these together ran me about $150 since I was able to put them together as DIY projects - leaves you some cash left over for at least one more fermentation vessel!

baseballsmitty said:
I can tell you the best investments I've made as far as improving the quality of my beer were a fermentation chamber (old ugly garage fridge with dual stage controller) and a stir plate for making yeast starters. I think both of these together ran me about $150 since I was able to put them together as DIY projects - leaves you some cash left over for at least one more fermentation vessel!

+1

Making wort is easy. Keeping yeast happy is the key to good beer. A fermentation temp control solution is the way to keep our microscopic friends happy :)

Then I'd suggest an outdoor burner. Brewing is so much more relaxing when you know a boil over can be cleaned up with a hose!

I do all grain so having a spot on thermometer is key, I did a write up here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/best-digital-thermometer-314825/index2.html

Since you have some of the kegging stuff already, I expect you'll eventually do taps. When you do, I highly suggest perlick 525ss, can't go wrong with them. Do a search on here and you'll see many people upgrading to them.

So a fermentation chamber would just be an old fridge with a heat lamp or some other thing inside and a dual stage controller?

My basement stays around ~64 degrees all year round.

I do not currently have enough space to do all grain. I will eventually though!

Yeah, you could use an old fridge or pick up a chest freezer. I got a 7 cubic foot chest freezer locally on ebay for $100 and wired up a STC-1000 controller, which is about $20 plus maybe another $20 for parts (electrical outlet, paint can heater, wiring, etc.). Easily done for under $200.

64 degrees is good for most ales, but if you're interested in doing anything like lagers, saisons, or kolsches, you'll need more control over your temps.

I just started doing all grain (3 gallon batches) and it really doesn't take any more room, other than someplace to store a 10 gallon cooler.

John

Build a MLT from a cooler and buy an outdoor burner, like a turkey fryer. Or, put a turkey fryer on your Christmas/birthday list. (Turkey fryers come with a 5 or 6 gallon pot too.)

I was so happy when I moved my brewing from the stove to in front of the garage.

I only use glass carboys for wine and Brett beers, basically because they don't stain, don't retain odors, and are easy to clean.

new brewer here as well and one of the upgrades I've made so far is the outdoor burner. Talk about saving time and being able to boil more is nice too. Wish I had room for another fridge to use as a fermentation chamber.

Latest posts

Back