Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > GF grain roast

Old 06-04-2013, 03:14 AM   #11
igliashon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I roast my grains in a skillet, stirring constantly with a spatula. I've taken millet pretty gosh-darn dark that way, but can't comment yet on the flavor as I'm still wafting it to mellow it out. Although I wonder if that's necessary, as the lack of a husk should hypothetically prevent much of the harshness and astringency that people complain about with roasted barley. I did a black IPA with sprouted quinoa that I roasted that way, though, and it came out nice and chocolatey. Of course, I also used a little bit of candi syrup to help along the color...I don't seem to be able to get the grains to contribute a significant amount of color, even when I roast them suuuuuper dark. Heck, I full-on carbonized some buckwheat the other night (got distracted during the roast by my roommate's puppy, and stopped stirring it at the very end), and just for giggles I steeped some of it for a while before throwing it out, and only got a very light brown color off it. I just don't know what I gotta do to get a nice black color without resorting to candi syrup, burnt honey, or molasses!

Old 06-04-2013, 04:02 AM   #12
Osedax
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 54 Posts

You could do it in a skillet. I did for awhile. Then I got lazy and bought a popcorn popper.

It gives a slightly less burnt taste and I don't really need to waft the grains. Being huskless is a good and a bad thing. I tend to use way more roasted grains in my recipes than a barley based recipe needs. I still can't get the color or the roastiness. Its getting close but its still a work-in-progress.

I also made a black IPA recently. It came out AMAZING! Its very dark. Slightly roasty. Hop presence is great. I just have to bottle it. I will post a recipe and a picture to give an idea of the color I achieved. I did cheat a little with some D-90(didn't feel like making my own).
My House IPA

Old 06-04-2013, 06:31 AM   #13
Ash_Mathew
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, I have done some flaked millet in a frying pan before, but I couldn't be bothered standing there waiting with it for that long. I normally put it in the oven but sometimes it can be a bit of a pain in the arse getting it off of the tray. Especially when it's a crystal malt. Next thing you know it's grain everywhere and I am being beaten by SWMBO because she trod on an AWOL grain. It's all fun and games. Haha So if I can limit the bruises in some way, that would be great.

I agree with the grain colour, though. No matter how hard I try it always turns the water a murky brown colour and that's it. I always have to add molasses or treacle for stouts, and different coloured sugars for other beers. Personally I am trying for a treacle stout, but the amount I have been putting in has just killed it. Next one I make will only have a pound of it in.