Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > How much Torani Syrup?

Old 06-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
Doongie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

Yes, when you make soda and bottle carbonate it with yeast, it does have a bit of alcohol. It's considered a negligible amount, but there is a minute amount present.

Typically, you carb it up for a day or two (or longer, depending on kind of soda), and then stick it in the fridge when the plastic bottles get hard. It's not normally pasteurized.
I actually checked this today, I saw a root beer recipe that had only one cup of sugar but only 2.5 qts, and when I plugged it in to iBrewmaster, it calculated out to be 2.36% abv. Of course that is if you let it attenuate fully, that would be pretty dry I suppose. For grins, drop some numbers into a formula, and see where it comes out.

Cold crashing it at just the right time seems like a bit of a guess. This will significantly reduce the abv though.
Pasteurizing on the stovetop seems like a gamble.
I don't know that I would bottle condition, but that's me.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5577 Times on 4009 Posts
Likes Given: 1371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doongie View Post
I actually checked this today, I saw a root beer recipe that had only one cup of sugar but only 2.5 qts, and when I plugged it in to iBrewmaster, it calculated out to be 2.36% abv. Of course that is if you let it attenuate fully, that would be pretty dry I suppose. For grins, drop some numbers into a formula, and see where it comes out.

Cold crashing it at just the right time seems like a bit of a guess. This will significantly reduce the abv though.
Pasteurizing on the stovetop seems like a gamble.
I don't know that I would bottle condition, but that's me.
But if you had children, and wanted to make root beer, you would absolutely cold crash it as soon as it was carbed up. You don't want the sugar to ferment out (as it would taste bad) and it would have more than a negligible amount of alcohol in it.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 06-16-2013, 12:29 AM   #13
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

We made the gnome, two 2 liters and a 12 pack of bottles I pasteurized. It's good, the yeast remains just active enough in the 2 liters so they don't taste flat left half full.