Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Making hard cider from frozen concentrate.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
bartons15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Making hard cider from frozen concentrate.

Questions:
How many cans would you need for a 5 gallon batch and do you add water? If not, wouldn't the concentrate be too sweet? Anyone ever do it this way and how did it turn out?

Old 05-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
hunter_la5
Have you tried turning it off and on again?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2706 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 5565

Yes, you would need to add water, and probably a little sugar too. I haven't made cider from concentrate since I was in college, so I don't really remember how many cans for a 5 gallon batch. You could just follow the directions on the can, and scale it to 5 gallons based on those specs, and add a pound of two of sugar.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_la5 View Post
Yes, you would need to add water, and probably a little sugar too. I haven't made cider from concentrate since I was in college, so I don't really remember how many cans for a 5 gallon batch. You could just follow the directions on the can, and scale it to 5 gallons based on those specs, and add a pound of two of sugar.
I've used frozen concentrate once. I think if you scale up the directions on the cans, the OG was around 1.04. So you might want to get a couple extra cans to bump it up a little higher.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
robbyhicks
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Last batch I did out of concentrate I bought 14 or 15 if I recall and 3 were for back sweetening, the rest made the juice, added 1 can of concentrate without the water to. Bump the og... ended up around 9%...

Old 06-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
womencantsail
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyhicks View Post
Last batch I did out of concentrate I bought 14 or 15 if I recall and 3 were for back sweetening, the rest made the juice, added 1 can of concentrate without the water to. Bump the og... ended up around 9%...
Did you happen to take a gravity reading on the undiluted concentrate?

I'm going to be making an "ice" cider soon and I'm trying to figure out what ratio of cider/juice to concentrate I will need to get the correct OG (looking for 1.130 - 1.140).

Old 06-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
fosaisu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartons15 View Post
Questions:
How many cans would you need for a 5 gallon batch and do you add water? If not, wouldn't the concentrate be too sweet? Anyone ever do it this way and how did it turn out?
Just reconstitute the cans and use like normal juice. You'd have to check the gravity but I'd guess it would come out close to standard apple juice (Mott's bottled apple juice is 1.05, for reference). So the easiest thing to do would be to make 5 gallons of reconstituted juice and just pitch your yeast into it.

As to whether you should add some extra cans of undiluted concentrate (or add additional sugar) before fermentation to pump up the ABV, that just depends on how strong you want your cider to be. The only cider I've made I intentionally stopped fermentation before it was complete, but if you let it go all the way I've read it will reach an FG near 1.00, which would give you an ABV of 6.7% assuming you started at 1.05. If you want more alcohol than that, add more concentrate (undiluted) or sugar up front. If you're trying to approximate commerical hard ciders available in the USA, I think you'd want 5% - 6% ABV.

If you're planning to add concentrate (undiluted) or sugar for sweetness after fermentation is complete, just remember that will cause additional fermentation, leading to more alcohol and carbonation and less sweetness, unless you take steps to prevent fermentation (refrigeration, kegging + refrigeration, bottle pasteurizing). Just something to be aware of given the risk of bottle bombs. Because I wanted to make semi-sweet, carbonated ciders and was nervous about bottle pasteurizing, I waited until I got a kegging setup to make my first cider.
Twhite1978 Likes This 
Old 11-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
beerrab
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Easy Hard cider made the way the big guys do it a save money

The easy way to make hard cider is from frozen juice concentrate. The big guys use juice from concentrate; just read the ingredients label on the store bought ciders. This Allows for year around production at a very reasonable price.
How much concentrate is needed for five gallons depends on the alcohol content desired. I found 16 can of apple juice concentrate gave me the OG of 1.058 or potential alcohol of 7.88 ABV and my total cost to make 5 gallons of store bought cider was $30.70. I ended up with 2.5 cases bottled and at the store cost of 9.00 a six pack or $90.00 total that is quite savings just under $60.00.
The sugar in the apple juice concentrate ferments very dry and potential alcohol is closely accurate to what is produced.
To get body and sweetness in the cider one must add complex sugar the yeast cannot eat.
I have had good success using apple juice concentrate for cider in gallon batches and five gallon batches.

Here is a link to my five gallon video http://youtu.be/SkLcCJ-hew4

Here is a link to my 1 gallon video http://youtu.be/gLBHNAPbkJ4

Old 11-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #8
SmokeyMcBong
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 351

I use about 12 cans of frozen concentrate in 5 gallons and add sugar to get to the desired OG. Turns out great IMO lol.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #9
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by womencantsail View Post
I will need to get the correct OG (looking for 1.130 - 1.140).
Unless you are planning on stopping the fermentation early, you are looking at 17% - 18.5% ABV if this goes down to 1.000. Plan on waiting 18 months before drinking it, because it will be absolute paint thinner until that time.

Even if you stop fermentation at 1.050, you are looking at `10% - 12.5 % ABV, and a very sweet hard cider. Again, I'd let it sit 8 - 12 months before drinking.

Choose your yeast wisely, you will need one with a high alcohol tolerance.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomachís sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Old 11-23-2014, 10:43 PM   #10
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Buying the 3 qt bottles of house brand apple juice at Wally World for $2.79 each, puts 5 gallons just a shade under $20.00. I don't remember what I paid last trip for FAJC, I am thinking $1.50 or so. If that price is correct, it's a 50/50 deal price wise.

Newsman Likes This