Bottle sediment issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TalesSpin

Reaction score
This is only my 3rd batch of brew and I've encountered an issue not had before. I've brewed an irish red and it seems to be extremely well charged - aggressively so. No bottles burst, and I used the same portion of dry malt to charge as I did for my other 5g batches (as recommended from a brewing book).

So the issue with the excessive bubbling is that when I pop the top, the bubbling is so aggressive that is dislodges the dregs from the bottom, stirring up the whole bottle. This leaves all kinds of debris in the beer that are not only unsightly, but leave the brew with an undersirable twangy, yeasty flavor. :/

I tried chilling a bottle in the freezer instead of the fridge so more of the CO2 would dissolve in the beer and make less aggressive fizzing, which worked, but also 1/2 froze my beer making it hard to pour.

Kind of stupid question, to which I am sure there is no answer I've not thought of, BUT! Any suggestions..? :/

Back