Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Recipe help

Old 05-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Gaviao
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Recipe help

Okay so I've been looking through the recipes on this site and on brewtoad.com, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for...

cue U2

Anyway....

I'm looking for a 2 gallon extract Blue Moon clone recipe. I would also be happy with one for Bells Oberon, again 2 gallon extract.

Thanks!

Old 05-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
Bramstoker17
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Is it the scale of the recipe or the ingredients you haven't been satisfied with? You won't find too many recipes for 2 gallons online, but if you find a recipe you like that's for 5, scaling it down shouldn't be too hard.

http://whitepointerbrewery.wordpress.com/

Old 05-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
Gaviao
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramstoker17 View Post
Is it the scale of the recipe or the ingredients you haven't been satisfied with? You won't find too many recipes for 2 gallons online, but if you find a recipe you like that's for 5, scaling it down shouldn't be too hard.
Got it, that does help. Are there any tricks to scaling down a recipe? Or is it just as I would imagine - let's say a 5 gallon batch recipe calls for 1 oz of hops so for the 2 gallon batch I would only use like .40 oz.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
Heavywalker
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 8

if you are given a 5 gallon batch divide the amount (weight) of ingredients by 5 and then multiply by 2 for everything from grains to extract to hops, recipes are scalable up or down in finished volume.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:15 AM   #5
woozy
Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaviao View Post
Got it, that does help. Are there any tricks to scaling down a recipe? Or is it just as I would imagine - let's say a 5 gallon batch recipe calls for 1 oz of hops so for the 2 gallon batch I would only use like .40 oz.

It's absolutely perfect linear scale. I brew 2 gallon batches and I've never in my entire life seen a 2 gallon recipe for *anything*. I've scaled *every* time.

Tips: If your scale is digital and you can use metric to measure .4 oz of hops in grams. Grams is more accurate. If recipes give AA% use that to measure the bittering hops. If your recipe *doesn't* your hops are just an estimate anyway as each batch has a different AA percentage anyway. Err, upward on yeast. Accuracy for extract and/or grain and/or water (i.e. anything *but* hops and yeast) is not very important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavywalker View Post
if you are given a 5 gallon batch divide the amount (weight) of ingredients by 5 and then multiply by 2 for everything from grains to extract to hops, recipes are scalable up or down in finished volume.
... or multiply by 4 and divide by 10. Or divide in half and add 1/4. Or convert from oz to tenths of lbs and divide in half. Or ...