HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Ran Out of C02

Old 05-29-2013, 01:10 AM   #1
NedStackey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Ran Out of C02

Hey there

I have a dual faucet keggerator which is running off a 5lbs C02 tank. Everything was going fine until I just recently put another keg on (first time hooking up 2 kegs on the same regulator). Well, now it's empty and the 2nd batch hadn't had enough time to carbonate. Obviously I have a leak some where in the line but I should be ok to wait until this weekend to get more C02 right? I mean the beers going to sit fine without C02 going right now. I know this may be a dumb question but just being weird about it right now.

Thanks

Old 05-29-2013, 01:12 AM   #2
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

ya u should be good as long as there was enough CO2 to purge the oxygen from the keg.
Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 05-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
NedStackey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Back again....

So I had the C02 refilled and put the kegs back under pressure. Overnight I could see that the meter was now reading much lower then it should so I turned off the tank and closed off the lines. I waited about 10 minutes and pulled the release pins on both kegs. Keg 1 I heard the normal release I should hear. Keg 2 however had very little release so it seems that the second keg is not holding pressure. Both kegs were refurbished but I replaced all the o-rings. My questions are.

1) Is that batch done or is there anything I can do to save it?
2) Is there another area of the keg I can check as to why it's not holding pressure?
3) Is it worth replacing the posts and cover with all the o-rings again or should I just cut my losses on this keg and get a new refurbished one?

Thanks

Old 05-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
BrocksHomebrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Pressurize your keg and spray it down with star san solution or soapy water. Look for bubbles, especially around the lid o-ring, the pressure release valve and the the base of the posts. Lid o-ring leaks can usually be fixed by slathering it with keg lube. Pressure release valves can be tightened, but if the o-ring wears out on those you have to replace the whole assembly. If the base of the post is leaking and you've already replaced the o-ring, take it apart, lube the o-rings and reassemble. Tighten with a wrench, but take care not to over-tighten. Firm but not he-man strength will get it done. Leaky poppets wouldn't cause a loss of pressure while it's hooked up to couplers so that's not likely your issue, but once again lube the o-ring and if that doesn't work replace the assembly.

In regards to your current batch, I wouldn't worry about it. Once you get the keg holding pressure just carry on as usual to carb it up and serve.

Brock's Homebrew Supply
Melbourne, FL

Old 05-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
NedStackey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Great advice! Thanks a lot. I'm just getting into the kegging world and there's still a lot to learn. I'll hopefully find the leak tonight and get back to drinking my beer. I was really nervous about losing this batch because this was my first "made up" recipe and I was really excited to see how it came out.

Thanks again.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:51 AM   #6
NedStackey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

So found the issue. The second keg I have has a slow leak around the gas in poppet valve (I think that's what it's called). I'll probably just buy a whole new post assembly. Would it be worth replacing the liquid out post as well while I'm at it?