Vanilla Creamed Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLMCHENRY

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP051 Cali Ale V
Yeast Starter
Yep
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
18 @ 65
Tasting Notes
great daily drinker with a hint of vanilla on the finish
6lbs 2-row
2lbs Vienna malt
2lbs flaked corn
4oz crystal 10l

4 Vanilla beans split in half and chopped in mash

mash @ 152 for 60 minutes

.33 oz Nelson Sauvin (first wort hop)
1 vanilla bean split in half (first wort bean)
.5 oz Crystal (15 minuets)
.5 oz Crystal (5 minutes)
.66 oz Nelson Sauvin (flame out 20 minutes steep)

Bottled after 18 days with 3/4 cup honey

@ 16 days beer went down great, no more waiting. Time to drink

A local brew house here, Borderlands, has the best vanilla porter I have ever had, with great vanilla flavors. I asked them how they make it and their process is to mash and boil the vanilla beans, but never secondary them. The vanilla really shines through like this.

interdasting. bit late for my current porter but will remember this information for next time. cheers

A local brew house here, Borderlands, has the best vanilla porter I have ever had, with great vanilla flavors. I asked them how they make it and their process is to mash and boil the vanilla beans, but never secondary them. The vanilla really shines through like this.

Wouldn't the boil and the primary push out the vanilla aroma? I've used them in secondary before and it came through fine, but was always told to only use them in secondary as the aromatics will be lost in the boil/primary.

I was just working on a recipe for a Vanilla and Coffee Blonde. Glad I stumbled upon this. A local brewery here in The Mitten, Right Brain Brewery, has done some really interesting things with ingredients in the mash.

It's encouraging that you had good results, I think I'll give it a try too! I will report back.

Cheers!

I had heard that the flavor would boil off, but its there and pretty strong. I was thinking I'm going to be using more flavors in the mash. Some breweries here are using flowers and fruits in the mash and it seems to come out well.

My Vanilla Java Blonde turned out to be excellent. I did 2 chopped vanilla beans in the mash for a 5 gal batch. This gave definite vanilla aroma and flavor, I was looking for more so I added 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract at cold crash. Next time I'll double the vanilla beans in my mash and report back.

Back