Help - I want to achieve buttery chardonnay from kit - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Help - I want to achieve buttery chardonnay from kit

Old 10-11-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Reading, MA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

SWMBO is HUGE fan of buttery flavor in Chardonnay. I need some coaching. Looking to buy one of the less expensive kits, maybe Vintner's Reserve, and make a Chardonnay but I'd like to change up the yeast or fermenting temp, etc. to achieve a noticeable buttery flavor. HELP!? Tips/pointers or specific how-tos are much appreciated.

Primary - California Common -finally!
Secondary - nothing, back after year plus hiatus
Keg carbing & conditioning - nada
Drinking - store bought: Loose Cannon IPA, Wachusett IPA.
On deck: Trying to decide (beer); wine kit likely (red wine)

Old 10-11-2007, 10:38 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 87 Times on 72 Posts

buttery flavors in wine come mostly from oak. I've never made wine before, but I'm a bit of a wine geek...and the way that many (mostly californian) wineries cover up the flaws in their bad chard fruit is to oak the hell out of it. Thus, you get buttery, toasty chard.

So take this with a grain of salt given that I don't make my own wine, but you could always add a bunch of oak...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-12-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Reading, MA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I thought I was told there are two types of Chardonnay, the buttery flavored ones, and the oaky flavored ones...
I was thinking the buttery flavor is from diacetyl -- maybe due to a particular yeast strain and/or fermentation temp.
I'm way too much of a beginner w/wine to know if the buttery flavor is also due to oak as you suggest, Evan.
What's the trick?!

Old 10-12-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
mrfocus
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Montreal, Canada
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

To learn all there is about diacetyl (buttery flavour): http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=41041

Although this is for beer, the same applies.

So basically, you want to keep the wine fermenting at a low temperature, and bottle it a bit before the fermentation is done. That way, there won't be that much yeast to finish the reverse diacetyl conversion in the bottle. You may also want to add potassium sorbate to kill off the yeast to be sure you get that buttery flavor. When the you have achieved the taste you want, add potassium sorbate and preferably bottle it as quickly as possible (as potassium sorbate can evaporate from what I've heard).

I hope this makes sense and if something I said is wrong, others will correct me.

mrfocus
On tap: Maudite clone, Double Munchen, Oktoberfeast, Oktoberfest Pilsner
Planning: Brewed in 2011: 22 (2010: 15, 2009: 29, 2008: 21, 2007: 1)
Wine made in 2010: 6 kits (2009: 19, 2008: 30)

Old 10-15-2007, 05:33 PM   #5
PsiWulf7
Recipes 

Feb 2007
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You want to encourage a malolactic conversion, which will produce the diacetyl that creates a buttery flavor and slippery mouthfeel. IIRC, you can purchase the lactic acid bacteria and inoculate your wine with it.

Here's an article on it:

http://winemakermag.com/departments/112.html

pumpkinman2012 Likes This 
Old 10-16-2007, 04:30 AM   #6
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Reading, MA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think those ideas sound like I should try them on next batch!

Old 05-26-2016, 08:37 PM   #7
Barley-and-Hops
Recipes 

Apr 2015
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

So I stumbled across this thread and just wanted to clear up quite a bit of misinformation on it. The main source of buttery flavor in chardonnay is produced during malolactic fermentation using [I]Oenococcus oeni[I] bacteria. These bacteria will convert Malic Acid(green apples) into the softer Lactic Acid(milk.) If Citric Acid(lemons) is present this bacteria will metabolize it as well and produce diacetyl, the exact same chemical used to flavor buttered popcorn. Some people have had success increasing the butter by adding some citric acid but do so sparingly as yeast has a tendency to turn it into Acetic Acid (vinegar.) Chardonnay is known to have a greater ratio of malic and citric acid than most other grapes and thus works well with the style. It is true diacetyl can be made via yeast fermentation but the bacteria works better. You will still need to use yeast for alcohol fermentation.

Never add potassium sorbate if you plan on doing MLF the bacteria is very intolerant of it, often MLF takes place slowly with little indications and can continue for a month after primary. MLF can help stabilize a wine by consuming micro-nutrients preventing spoilage organisms. But it also raises your pH and lowers your Total Acidity(TA) which can create an unstable wine, so don't do MLF on a wine that already has low acid problems.
Oak can impart nutty, vanilla, toasty, etc. flavors that compliment the buttery chard but no diacetyl. Although once malolactic bacteria is present in a barrel it is very difficult to remove.

pumpkinman2012 Likes This 
Old 05-26-2016, 09:14 PM   #8
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Australia
Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

It is interesting to see the misconceptions in this thread, beer brewers often seem to want to apply their techniques to wine and cider but they are very different, see all the cider threads about boiling the juice before fermenting, also making sour cider with lactobacillus.
LAB bacteria are very common in the environment and will usually get into wine if sulfite isn't used and the temperature and pH are right, causing a wild malolactic. One thing to be aware of if using MLF culture is it takes a couple of months for the wine to settle down afterwards, for a while it will have strange cardboardy flavours.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:42 AM   #9
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Fayetteville, NC
Liked 97 Times on 90 Posts

Just a bit of info...NEVER DO MLF TO A KIT WINE.

If you want a buttery chard kit, spend as much money as you can on the kit.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:12 PM   #10
Mismost
Recipes 

Jan 2015
San Antonio, Texas
Liked 121 Times on 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCAD View Post
Just a bit of info...NEVER DO MLF TO A KIT WINE.

If you want a buttery chard kit, spend as much money as you can on the kit.
Not that I want to do a MLF, kit or otherwise at the moment, but WHY not, Doc? I would like to store that info in my head!