Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > What culture to use
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
ChaosStout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Moorhead, MN
Posts: 253
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default What culture to use

So me and my GF where at a beer tasting last year and had a wonderful sour(Not sure what it was) that tasted like Balsamic vinegar. It was awesome stuff. Anyways Looking over the different bugs I cant seem to find which one would produce that wonderful flavor. If someone could point me to the right bugs to use and even a recipe/ Yeast selection I would be most grateful.


ChaosStout is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
DisturbdChemist
I'm drunk 60% of the time all the time.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
 
DisturbdChemist's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Between-the-keggerator-and-the-couch, TX
Posts: 7,565
Liked 2165 Times on 1490 Posts
Likes Given: 1511

Default

If it taste like vinegar it might be acetobacter that produced acetic acid aka vinegar. I think temperature might affect the production of vinegar with pedio/lacto. Not 100% sure on that


__________________
-I do not have a drinking problem. Unless I'm out of beer...


Twitter: @dcp006 - Ambidextrous Drinker
Untappd: BiggTexx
DisturbdChemist is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
dcHokie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,714
Liked 252 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosStout View Post
So me and my GF where at a beer tasting last year and had a wonderful sour(Not sure what it was) that tasted like Balsamic vinegar. It was awesome stuff. Anyways Looking over the different bugs I cant seem to find which one would produce that wonderful flavor. If someone could point me to the right bugs to use and even a recipe/ Yeast selection I would be most grateful.
Flanders Reds often have a balsamic quality. If you are looking to replicate that style then Roeselare (Wyeast 3763) is a great strain.
__________________

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison
dcHokie is online now
ChaosStout Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
ChaosStout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Moorhead, MN
Posts: 253
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
Flanders Reds often have a balsamic quality. If you are looking to replicate that style then Roeselare (Wyeast 3763) is a great strain.
TYVM. Would I want to pitch another yeast like American Ale II 1272 first and then pitch the 3763 later?
ChaosStout is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
mot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: MN
Posts: 628
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Your tasting a flaw. Brewers try and stay away from vinegar (acetobacter) it is acceptable in Flanders red style to an extent. But if that's what you want it's very easy go make it thrives on oxygen
mot is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
dcHokie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,714
Liked 252 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Your tasting a flaw. Brewers try and stay away from vinegar (acetobacter) it is acceptable in Flanders red style to an extent. But if that's what you want it's very easy go make it thrives on oxygen
I don't necessarily agree with the flaw comment in the context of Flanders Reds. By definition they should have some acetic character to the extent that even BJCP lists acetobacter as a fermentation component. Duchesse de Bourgogne certainly exemplifies the style and it has loads of balsamic character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosStout View Post
TYVM. Would I want to pitch another yeast like American Ale II 1272 first and then pitch the 3763 later?
ChaosStout, there are a few schools of thought on fermentation schedule. You've basically described "the Jamil method" from Brewing Classic Styles which he recommends for a less sour Flemish Red. I favor pitching the Roeselare culture up front and letting it ride for 12-18 months, the longer the better IMHO.
__________________

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison
dcHokie is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
mot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: MN
Posts: 628
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
I don't necessarily agree with the flaw comment in the context of Flanders Reds. By definition they should have some acetic character to the extent that even BJCP lists acetobacter as a fermentation component. Duchesse de Bourgogne certainly exemplifies the style and it has loads of balsamic character.



ChaosStout, there are a few schools of thought on fermentation schedule. You've basically described "the Jamil method" from Brewing Classic Styles which he recommends for a less sour Flemish Red. I favor pitching the Roeselare culture up front and letting it ride for 12-18 months, the longer the better IMHO.
Like I said it is acceptable to an extent. A good Flanders with low acetic qualities is terrific compared to an acetic bomb.

Duchesse is a poor representation IMHO it is back sweetened like crazy and pasteurized.


mot is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
yeast culture jwallen Fermentation & Yeast 9 05-23-2013 01:10 AM
please help i.d. this culture MrHookah209 Fermentation & Yeast 5 05-05-2013 12:29 AM
For Sale - Culture Vials brewmatersmike For Sale 25 05-30-2012 06:38 PM
For Sale - Culture Vials crazyirishman34 For Sale 164 05-29-2012 06:02 PM
How do you culture yeast? ryank020 Fermentation & Yeast 2 02-20-2012 11:46 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS