Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Corned Beef?

Old 05-23-2013, 02:57 AM   #1
svenalope
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Corned Beef?

Hey guys, thought you may be interested in a thing. I've been reading art of fermentation by Sandor Katz, which is like the top five books I've ever read. Anyway, there's a recipe for corned beef, something like a brisket in a brine of 10% salt and 5% sugar for two weeks. I cooked it for st. patrick's day in the brine and it was way too salty (still the best corned beef I've had), but it'd probably be good cooked without the brine.
Anyway, point is, it was so good I decided to make another and turn it into corned beef jerky. First quarter of the beef was ****, but the next half i rinsed and it was just barely too salty for jerky.
Anyway, you guys ever corn a beef? Because you need to. Ever made corned beef jerky? Because I'd like to hear some suggestions on that. And I love Katz's book.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:02 AM   #2
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4965 Times on 2970 Posts
Likes Given: 4163

I brine my own corned beef. It's delicious. Never done jerky.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:06 AM   #3
jungatheart
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Corned beef jerky man that would hit the spot right now!!

Probably wouldn't go with beer though. Maybe if you add some good cheddar, a crusty roll.......... Nah, that wouldn't be any good..

Old 06-01-2013, 03:48 AM   #4
BBQB
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

I brine mine for two weeks. Before smoking though I wash off the brine to keep it from getting too salty. I then pat dry it with paper towels and then pack on as much pepper as I can...this might technically make it pastrami (not sure)