The BEST Mac And Cheese (Warning: Advanced Recipe) - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > The BEST Mac And Cheese (Warning: Advanced Recipe)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
jglazer
Recipes 
 
Mar 2013
Posts: 355
Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts


Basil is a pretty key ingredient in this dish, it really plays well with roasted garlic and tomatoes.

The beauty of mac and cheese is that you can add almost anything and it will almost always turn out fantastic. This one was developed for vegetarians so there is no meat, but there is a lot of room to expand if you want to throw in some sort of flesh.

The cheese that is listed is a real solid combination. However if you do not have access to all those cheese then you can really change the types around and it will still be really good. Its kinda like hops, there are so many varieties and combinations that will make awesome beer.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #12
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Los Angeles
Posts: 8,163
Liked 481 Times on 389 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
bust all you want on Rachael Ray, but her Italian Mac-n-Cheese is a good recipe if you're short on time

or good for a mashup with the OP's recipe. cheese here sounds a whole lot more tasty than a pack of pre-shredded Sargento's
To be fair, I have seen some kind of prepackaged shredded "Italian cheese blend" in the grocery store which is quite similar to what is described here. I don't use it because I have a 5-lb block of what I think is the best parmesan in the world, and usually stock various other high-quality cheeses as well, which is what I use when I cook.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
cheezydemon3
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
louisville
Posts: 12,961
Liked 1670 Times on 1250 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
To be fair, I have seen some kind of prepackaged shredded "Italian cheese blend" in the grocery store which is quite similar to what is described here. I don't use it because I have a 5-lb block of what I think is the best parmesan in the world, and usually stock various other high-quality cheeses as well, which is what I use when I cook.
I actually find the Sargento cheeses to be pretty damned good, but no where near "best in the world" But a sargento mozzerella, cheddar, or even "italian blend" is going to be better than passable.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:32 AM   #14
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
GrogNerd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Sterling, VA
Posts: 5,766
Liked 1975 Times on 1241 Posts


I was giving myself an out, in case someone thinks of Sargento as the BMC of cheese
__________________
"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Fresh Squee Zed IPA - bottle conditioning: LoCo Foot Barleywine - secondary: Basque cider - fermenting: apple wine, Skeeter Pee, Schwarzbier - on deck: Grodziskie

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:08 AM   #15
hoppyhoppyhippo
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
New Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 2,699
Liked 404 Times on 331 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
That's an awful lot of garlic.
.
I've never run into that yet. Including when I've just ate Garlic. I love Garlic.

cheezydemon3 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #16
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
GrogNerd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Sterling, VA
Posts: 5,766
Liked 1975 Times on 1241 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post
I've never run into that yet. Including when I've just ate Garlic. I love Garlic.
you can have too much garlic powder, it's like too much salt

too much crushed garlic is like saying too much beer

the words seem to be in English, but arranged like that makes no sense
__________________
"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Fresh Squee Zed IPA - bottle conditioning: LoCo Foot Barleywine - secondary: Basque cider - fermenting: apple wine, Skeeter Pee, Schwarzbier - on deck: Grodziskie

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #17
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
gratus fermentatio's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Montana
Posts: 11,836
Liked 2396 Times on 1328 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jglazer View Post
Basil is a pretty key ingredient in this dish, it really plays well with roasted garlic and tomatoes.

The beauty of mac and cheese is that you can add almost anything and it will almost always turn out fantastic. This one was developed for vegetarians so there is no meat, but there is a lot of room to expand if you want to throw in some sort of flesh.

The cheese that is listed is a real solid combination. However if you do not have access to all those cheese then you can really change the types around and it will still be really good. Its kinda like hops, there are so many varieties and combinations that will make awesome beer.
I'm assuming you're using Italian/mediterranean basil, I use mostly sweet basil, which I find interchangeable, but better. I'm wondering if you've ever tried this with Thai basil, or even cinnamon or lemon basil? Also, Have you tried other herbs? Sounds good as is, but I know I'll experiment with the recipe if I like the base, just trying to save a step or two.
Regards, GF.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #18
jglazer
Recipes 
 
Mar 2013
Posts: 355
Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts


I am actually not sure what type of basil I am using. I get fresh organic basil from Trader Joe's, but thats all it says on the package, not sure of the type.

I have not tried other herbs for this recipe but if you find some good combinations let us know!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #19
hoppyhoppyhippo
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
New Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 2,699
Liked 404 Times on 331 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
you can have too much garlic powder, it's like too much salt

too much crushed garlic is like saying too much beer

the words seem to be in English, but arranged like that makes no sense
Well I never use garlic powder so that's not a problem for me.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #20
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Posts: 30,330
Liked 4667 Times on 3144 Posts


Made this last night. It got a round, "Yeah, not bad." but wasn't the hit I hoped for. I've been wanting an awesome mac n cheese recipe for a while now, so I'm kind of disappointed. Maybe with a bit of tweaking.

Most everyone said they weren't a fan of the tomatoes, but I thought they were ok.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
favorite mac and cheese recipe? BillBeer247 Cooking & Pairing 1 10-20-2012 09:59 PM
beer cheese recipe anyone? Veng Cheese Making Forum 8 01-23-2010 02:21 PM
Amber Ale Recipe Review - *Newbie warning* free2brew Recipes/Ingredients 9 12-28-2007 07:24 AM


Forum Jump