Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > The BEST Mac And Cheese (Warning: Advanced Recipe)

Old 05-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
jglazer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Basil is a pretty key ingredient in this dish, it really plays well with roasted garlic and tomatoes.

The beauty of mac and cheese is that you can add almost anything and it will almost always turn out fantastic. This one was developed for vegetarians so there is no meat, but there is a lot of room to expand if you want to throw in some sort of flesh.

The cheese that is listed is a real solid combination. However if you do not have access to all those cheese then you can really change the types around and it will still be really good. Its kinda like hops, there are so many varieties and combinations that will make awesome beer.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #12
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
bust all you want on Rachael Ray, but her Italian Mac-n-Cheese is a good recipe if you're short on time

or good for a mashup with the OP's recipe. cheese here sounds a whole lot more tasty than a pack of pre-shredded Sargento's
To be fair, I have seen some kind of prepackaged shredded "Italian cheese blend" in the grocery store which is quite similar to what is described here. I don't use it because I have a 5-lb block of what I think is the best parmesan in the world, and usually stock various other high-quality cheeses as well, which is what I use when I cook.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
cheezydemon3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1654 Times on 1243 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
To be fair, I have seen some kind of prepackaged shredded "Italian cheese blend" in the grocery store which is quite similar to what is described here. I don't use it because I have a 5-lb block of what I think is the best parmesan in the world, and usually stock various other high-quality cheeses as well, which is what I use when I cook.
I actually find the Sargento cheeses to be pretty damned good, but no where near "best in the world" But a sargento mozzerella, cheddar, or even "italian blend" is going to be better than passable.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:32 AM   #14
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1302 Times on 852 Posts
Likes Given: 148

I was giving myself an out, in case someone thinks of Sargento as the BMC of cheese

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 05-23-2013, 02:08 AM   #15
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 325 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
That's an awful lot of garlic.
I've never run into that yet. Including when I've just ate Garlic. I love Garlic.
cheezydemon3 Likes This 
Old 05-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #16
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1302 Times on 852 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post
I've never run into that yet. Including when I've just ate Garlic. I love Garlic.
you can have too much garlic powder, it's like too much salt

too much crushed garlic is like saying too much beer

the words seem to be in English, but arranged like that makes no sense

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 05-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #17
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1727 Times on 1014 Posts
Likes Given: 4327

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglazer View Post
Basil is a pretty key ingredient in this dish, it really plays well with roasted garlic and tomatoes.

The beauty of mac and cheese is that you can add almost anything and it will almost always turn out fantastic. This one was developed for vegetarians so there is no meat, but there is a lot of room to expand if you want to throw in some sort of flesh.

The cheese that is listed is a real solid combination. However if you do not have access to all those cheese then you can really change the types around and it will still be really good. Its kinda like hops, there are so many varieties and combinations that will make awesome beer.
I'm assuming you're using Italian/mediterranean basil, I use mostly sweet basil, which I find interchangeable, but better. I'm wondering if you've ever tried this with Thai basil, or even cinnamon or lemon basil? Also, Have you tried other herbs? Sounds good as is, but I know I'll experiment with the recipe if I like the base, just trying to save a step or two.
Regards, GF.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #18
jglazer
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I am actually not sure what type of basil I am using. I get fresh organic basil from Trader Joe's, but thats all it says on the package, not sure of the type.

I have not tried other herbs for this recipe but if you find some good combinations let us know!

Old 05-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #19
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 325 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
you can have too much garlic powder, it's like too much salt

too much crushed garlic is like saying too much beer

the words seem to be in English, but arranged like that makes no sense
Well I never use garlic powder so that's not a problem for me.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #20
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3502 Times on 2393 Posts
Likes Given: 2299

Made this last night. It got a round, "Yeah, not bad." but wasn't the hit I hoped for. I've been wanting an awesome mac n cheese recipe for a while now, so I'm kind of disappointed. Maybe with a bit of tweaking.

Most everyone said they weren't a fan of the tomatoes, but I thought they were ok.