First go at buying used kegs, how'd I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrheinous

Reaction score
So I bottled a batch this Sunday and I figured that's the last straw - going to start kegging. Been debating over where to buy kegs and how many.

I checked Craigslist briefly after work and found an old posting about a guy selling several pinlocks and ball-locks. He had started with 20 kegs but by the time I got there (10 days later) he had four complete ones and two without lids left. The lot was from an old brewing/wine operation that cleared out a while back.

Bought his last four complete kegs (1 ball, 3 pin) for $120 and got the remaining two without lids for free since we were talking about the replacement lids being expensive. Even got a set of ball lock disconnects. I would have loved to see the original 20 kegs if this is what was left but the runts don't look too bad.

Filled the things up with 5 gallons of hot Oxiclean and they seem to be water-tight (no CO2 setup yet to test the gas seal). The water turned yellow as soon as it hit some of the leftover brew (hopefully not rust).

Pictures of the kegs: http://imgur.com/a/TObrk

I'm SUPER jealous of all you brewers with better Craigslist selection than Charleston's. Charleston is either devoid of corny kegs or they get snapped up so quickly that I never see any for sale. I check every day, sometimes more than once a day.

I have to pay $50+ (usually closer to $60) per keg, and I have never been able to snag one on CL.

The good thing is even if you have to overpay for kegs, they should last us for many many years. Its not like you have to buy kegs every year. If you pay an extra $30 and the keg last for 20 years, well it doesn't seem so bad. That is how I justify it to my self :)

There's several on Chicago's craigslist for $50+. It's rare that you can find them cheap and you have to respond quickly. The guy said he had a ton of emails come in after mine

Oh man I'm very sorry! I thought they were racetracks cuz they look more rounded than mine. I need to STFU some times.

Hah, no problem. I noticed the different style right away. ;)

They should be on their way, hoping to have six working kegs by Memorial Day. Already polished two to a matte finish and I've sprayed the tops and bottoms with two coats of black Plastidip since they were rubbing off black stuff.

I've got four 'short' pin locks, a 'tall' pin lock (probably good for conversion), and a 'tall' ball lock in all.

Picked up a full 20# CO2 tank with dual gauge regulator and handle for $115 tonight. Did a bit of driving but still saved on that alone compared to shipping. Looking into kegerators/keezers now.

---

Worst comes to worse about having an extra keg lying around is that you can wait awhile and sell it. I've seen plenty of threads around here from 2009 with the sentiment "$29 for a keg is too steep, hold out for a $15 deal".

I talk to pepsi drivers when I see them and offer 20-40 bucks for some empty kegs usually works out really well. I got 5 for 40 bucks one time

I'm SUPER jealous of all you brewers with better Craigslist selection than Charleston's. Charleston is either devoid of corny kegs or they get snapped up so quickly that I never see any for sale. I check every day, sometimes more than once a day.

I have to pay $50+ (usually closer to $60) per keg, and I have never been able to snag one on CL.

If you ever get up to Columbia you should look on Cola's CL. I've seen a bunch on there recently and I just picked up 3 perfect, clean pin locks for 15 bucks a piece.

Back