Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Blueberry Cream Ale- Critique

Old 05-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #11
sweed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Is this the cream ale yeast you're referring to?
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/white...end-wl080.html
Sounds like it's qualities would work well with the columbus.
Yes thats the one I was looking at. It looks like this beer will be down to a vote. Cream vs. Wheat... hmmm, maybe mix it together for Cream of Wheat!?

Old 05-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #12
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2922 Times on 2526 Posts
Likes Given: 2059

I'd say cream ale. Seems like a lot of BMC'rs would go for that more than a wheat beer.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #13
sweed
Recipes 

Quote:
I;'d say cream ale. Seems like a lot of BMC'rs would go for that more than a wheat beer.
My brothers, dad, even my mom, likes non bmc. My dad did get suck with the Miller Light for a long time until we slowly showed him the real stuff, now he goes out to try and find more craft beer. My hefe from last year was well recieved; and my sister in law, said it was the best beer she has ever had. She doesn't drink much beer, but i guess it goes to show that a wheat could work. I probably shoudn't have said this was only to be a light beer, or whatever I said in the OP, I forget. But, either one I think people would enjoy. The guys would be doing most of the beer drinking. I'll also have some porter, some of those wee heavies, and I'm doing a comparision of my first RIS and my 2nd Imperial stout. It just stinks I wont be able to drink much until after Novermber (I have 2 competitions).

I did forget about the Labor day crowd... those guys/ girls like wheat beers. I think a lot of people enjoy wheat beers, even bmc guys.

I'm still thinking how a cream ale yeast would work in a wheat beer... with blueberry flavoring

Old 05-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #14
sweed
Recipes 

Ok it looks like I'm going to stick with the cream ale. I'll brew it up the weekend after next, since I'll be away for memorial day weekend. I'll edit my recipe.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #15
Kiichi
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 57

If you can get a hold of them I would suggest you concider Comet hops. They are pretty rare far as I know (got the last about 300g of the 2012 harvest from the farmer right here in Germany), but they can give you some very nice blueberry flavour. As a 10min addition I recon the would work nicely.
Got onto them by having a Hopfenstopfer Comet IPA which had a very seriously blueberry flavour going and was all in all pretty darn nice. All from the hops!

Old 05-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #16
sweed
Recipes 

Thanks for your input. I looked them up and saw they give citrus, grapefruit and pineapple flavors/ aroma's. I already have the hops I'm going to use, I dont want this being a hoppy beer in the sense it has a lot of flavor/ aroma from the hops, but more from the blueberry extract.
I'll be brewing this Sunday it looks like because Saturday I'll be dead after Tough Mudder.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:03 AM   #17
sweed
Recipes 

1.065 OG. Forgot the whirfloc! Looks like I didn't fill it quite to the 6 gallon mark.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #18
sweed
Recipes 

I bottled this last night. I didn't get a good gravity reading because I think the beer was still cold from taking out of the fridge to cold crash it. It read something like 1.024, but it did not taste sweet at all. I let it sit out for a few more days (I got very busy), then I bottled. I added 2oz of the blueberry extract, and I couldn't tell I added anything, so in it all went, haha. Even then it wasn't much, but it had a nice faint blueberry taste.
The beer looks wicked light and clear. I got absolutely no trub/yeast in the bottling bucket. I could rack right up to that trub level, thanks to cold crashing I think. It's the first time I've done that. I cold crashed for 5 days. I also did it because the cream ale yeast is a mix of ale and lager yeast.
47-3/4 bottles. I'll get a pic of one this weekend.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #19
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2922 Times on 2526 Posts
Likes Given: 2059

Sounds like the flavor balance came out pretty good. I got a 2nd batch of Berlin Wheat I'm adding Trulemon to the priming solution to bottle later today. Darn life keeps getting in the way of my bottling days lately.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #20
sweed
Recipes 

Quote:
Sounds like the flavor balance came out pretty good. I got a 2nd batch of Berlin Wheat I'm adding Trulemon to the priming solution to bottle later today. Darn life keeps getting in the way of my bottling days lately.
It definitely tastes like a cream ale. I've only had the style once, and I can see why the bmc guys like it. The temps got up high a few days with the heat we had up here, and I dont feel like paying a huge electric bill keeping my AC on all day and night, haha.
I think I'm going to be happy with the carbonated outcome. I think the blueberry flavor might pop a little more with carbonation.
I still have a ten fidy clone and a cider I need to bottle. And my huge barleywine has been difficult, very difficult. The gravity is not dropping adding more yeast, but that's a different story
I need more time (and bottles)!