Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Aging tastes off

Old 10-11-2007, 02:42 AM   #1
mischief
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Aging tastes off

I bottled my first batch of cider in mid-August. It improved greatly with about a month in the bottle, but by the end of 6 weeks had started to taste off. I used the re-sealable ale bottles with the plastic stoppers that clamp shut to bottles it and kept it in my basement while it aged so it was not exposed to excessive heat. I added campden tablets at the beginning of fermentation but otherwise I had no added chemicals to the apple juice and yeast+yeast nutrient combination.

Is it possible that it kept fermenting or rotted in the bottle? Should I have added something to stop it from doing that?

I'm hoping to bottle the next batch in a week or so and I would like to age this one a bit more.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:16 AM   #2
macs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did you prime your bottles with sugar or was this still cider? Were the bottles clean and sanitized when you bottled?

Old 10-13-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
mischief
Recipes 

I primed them with the cordial standard sugar syrup. 2 parts water to 1 part sugar and heated until it thickens slightly.

I sanitized the bottles by running them through the dishwater sans soap.