Sore Throat from drinking Kombucha? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Sore Throat from drinking Kombucha?

Old 05-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
Crys
Recipes 

May 2013

I just started brewing. Just finished my 2nd batch ever. First batch I brewed for ten days and it was a bit sweet, but tasty, although no carbonation even after a second ferment with some ginger for flavor. Second batch I waited 2 weeks and it is much better with fizz too.

But... i seem to be getting sore throats from drinking it. I had never tried kombucha before so not sure how i react to it. I have read a lot about the yeast die-off effect in the body so I assume this could be it?? I just know that i love the taste but it gives me a sore throat about 3-5 hours after having 2-4 oz of the drink. It also seemed to make me very tired. My husband also reports a mildly sore throat but he also swears it has fixed his sinusitis.

I just want to be sure Im not poisoning us! I keep thinking maybe we are getting sore throats from bad pathogens in there or something... but there was no sign of mold... just the brown slime that I hear is normal. I even have a swollen gland in the right side of my throat, so that is strange, right?

Old 06-27-2013, 04:02 AM   #2
Bluespark
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

I wonder if this is not a cleansing reaction? I have heard of kombucha causing that in some people...

Old 06-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
jmf143
Recipes 

May 2010
Wixom, Michigan
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crys View Post
I just started brewing. Just finished my 2nd batch ever. First batch I brewed for ten days and it was a bit sweet, but tasty, although no carbonation even after a second ferment with some ginger for flavor. Second batch I waited 2 weeks and it is much better with fizz too.
I am sorry to hear that you are getting a sore throat. I hope its not related to drinking kombucha.

Would you be so kind as to describe your method for flavoring with ginger? I have a piece of root I'd like to use.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
n240sxguy

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Calvert City, KY
Liked 154 Times on 113 Posts

If you're just starting out drinking it, it may be the detox. The first time I drank it, I drank too much, and I felt pretty crappy. Now the fam goes through about 4 gallons a week out of a keg. I probably drink half of that.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
racin_ny
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Elba, NY
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Article
This may help a bit I was also extremley fatigued when i started drinking Kombucha. I also have a bit of a sore throat once in a while. there was a better article on this but i can't find it right now. If I find it I will post the link.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:01 AM   #6
sazji
Recipes 

Nov 2015
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

The detox stuff is pseudoscience. We have organs, the liver and kidneys, that take out toxic materials from our bodies. If they aren't doing that, we die. Whenever you see talk about some miracle substance that "removes toxins" (notice they never specify which toxins these supposedly are), you can be pretty sure that it's mumbo jumbo. Adjusting to a new food or combination of bacteria could be a problem. So can allergies to the yeasts. If you're brewing it yourself, there is also a possibility that some less-friendly organism has gotten into the mix.

People can react to kombucha, yeasts etc. in different ways. i cant drink cheap beer because compounds made by the yeasts from sugar give me migraines. A friend of mine drank kombucha for years, now he can't - he gets sick to his stomach within five minutes of drinking it.

What I would do is start fresh with a scoby from a good source or make your own from live kombucha, and see if you still have the problem.

harrydrez Likes This