Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Did you Make your Wort Chiller, or Did You Buy One?

Old 10-10-2007, 10:13 PM   #1
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Did you Make your Wort Chiller, or Did You Buy One?

First AG Batch is coming up, and I have been looking at Wort Chillers. I like the simple Copper Immersion Chillers the best. Only thing is that More Beer has so many to choose from. I'm not sure of the one I'll need, so I'll borrow a buddy's for my first AG Brew, and take some measure ments as far as how high the Wort comes in my Kettle. That will determie which Chiller will work for me.

Now, anyone here simply make an immersion chiller? If so, was it worth the savings in money and what size Copper did you use?

On DeckWitches Brew WDIPA
Primary Helles Wings MailBock,
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Lil' Sparky's Nut Brown Ale, Witches Brew IPA
On Tap Witches Brew IPA

Old 10-10-2007, 10:25 PM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

with the current price of copper, it'd be wise to find a good deal on a pre-made one before they go up in price.
I got mine in august for $45 for a 25' coil, and the various connections needed.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 10-10-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 9

When I bought mine, it would have cost me the same price to buy the copper as it cost to buy it made. If I had been able to buy a larger amount of copper making my own would have been cheaper. I believe that 3/8'' is what most people get.
This is the one I bought: http://ebrew.com/wort_chillers/regul...rt_chiller.htm
Cheaper than the same at MoreBeer and they are closer to my house so it got here in a day.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I bought 60' feet of 3/8 copper, a 270 gph fountain pump, and some 1/2 I/D tubing and was right at $100. It will cool 3.5 gallons to sub 70 in about 10 minutes with out stirring. I pump Ice water through it from start to finish and it comes out scalding for the first 5 minutes. I figured this would be adequate when and if I ever do large AG batches.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:51 PM   #5
fifelee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

At least where I am at you can buy a pre-made chiller cheaper than making it from scratch. I don't think the homebrew store prices have totally caught up to the copper increase yet. The standard for 5gal seems to be 25' of 3/8, but if you want to chill fast go bigger and longer (that sounds dirty).

Old 10-10-2007, 10:58 PM   #6
RLinNH

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Here's the one that interests me. http://morebeer.com/view_product/19522/ I just want to be sure that it will fit properly into my Boil Tun (A Half Barrel with the Top cut off). Think it will do just as good of a job on a 5 Gallon Boil as it will on a 10 Gallon Boil?

On DeckWitches Brew WDIPA
Primary Helles Wings MailBock,
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Lil' Sparky's Nut Brown Ale, Witches Brew IPA
On Tap Witches Brew IPA

Old 10-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #7
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cooling coil-s.gif
Views:	506
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	2898I bought a MoreBeer (R) 1/2 x50 ft chiller and for 10-12 gallons is really good. It has the fittings for the hose connection and is really convienient.

www.morebeer.com

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 10-10-2007, 11:05 PM   #8
Scorching Sugar
Recipes 

Default Made my own.

Made my own. The previous tenant was a handyman or something and left 100 feet of 5/8 inch copper soft copper tubing. I bought a tube bender tool and it works like charm. The copper alone sold for over $80 @ home depot. I had enough left over to make a second chiller which I place in ice water. The water runs from the house through the cooler then to the wort. It chills quickly. It was really simple.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:19 PM   #9
uglygoat

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

we made ours. i don't know that we saved any money, but we like tinkering, especially the old man, who claims the home brew is too yeasty, but is always asking for another glass of it

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:29 PM   #10
WhatsOnTap
Recipes 

I just made one last weekend. I LOVE IT! Got 12' of 1/2" tubing from the dumpster at church when they did a cleanup. I think I have $4 into it total and it cools the wort to sub-70 in 15 minutes.