Fantastic Hard Cider Recipe with Instructions (and fall spice / cherry variations) - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Fantastic Hard Cider Recipe with Instructions (and fall spice / cherry variations)

Old 09-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #21
Vikings
Recipes 

May 2013
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Has anyone used this or have any idea of how much I should use to back sweeten?
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1976
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	147457  

Old 10-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #22
GrnMtnMama
Recipes 

Oct 2013

I am going to use this recipe to make my first hard cider using fresh-pressed cider from a community pressing in which we primarily used "wild" apples.

My questions are:
  • Do I test the ph using a store bought ph strip? If it is too high or too low, how do I amend it?
  • For the primary fermenter (1 week), do I use a cloth covered bucket or an airlocked glass carboy? How about for secondary?

Thanks so much for your help! Off to the store to buy a few supplies.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #23
GrnMtnMama
Recipes 

Oct 2013

Back from the brew supply store. I bought a lid that an airlock will fit into for my 5 gall. bucket, so this will be my primary. Hoping I'm doing that correctly (I'm only putting 2 gallons of juice in it).

My initial SG reading is only 1.040. Is that OK?

Will sterilize everything and pasteurize, etc., tomorrow.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #24
JSahrle
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Rochester, New York
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Has anyone kegged this recipe? If I place it in a keg, do I not need to worry about the pasteurization piece?

Old 10-08-2013, 02:24 AM   #25
danbrewtan
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMtnMama View Post
I am going to use this recipe to make my first hard cider using fresh-pressed cider from a community pressing in which we primarily used "wild" apples.

My questions are:
  • Do I test the ph using a store bought ph strip? If it is too high or too low, how do I amend it?
  • For the primary fermenter (1 week), do I use a cloth covered bucket or an airlocked glass carboy? How about for secondary?

Thanks so much for your help! Off to the store to buy a few supplies.
I haven't worked with 'wild' apples yet (going to get some during my trip to CT!), but I've heard that you only need to adjust the pH sometimes. And when you do, you just need some maltic acid to bring the pH down to normal levels. I don't have my cider book in front of me, so I can't remember what normal levels are, but I bet a quick search would get you the info

Good luck!

"Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers." -Voltaire

Old 10-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #26
KeithMon
Recipes 

Oct 2013
Bend, Oregon
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

These instructions were exactly what I needed for my first hard cider.

My first batch of hard cider is fermenting in the closet. Thanks!

People Like This 
Old 10-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #27
tnobori1
Recipes 

Oct 2013

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but won't refrigeration halt carbonation? Is the pasteurization necessary?

Old 10-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #28
oregonbrew541
Recipes 

Mar 2013
Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrewtan
I haven't worked with 'wild' apples yet (going to get some during my trip to CT!), but I've heard that you only need to adjust the pH sometimes. And when you do, you just need some maltic acid to bring the pH down to normal levels. I don't have my cider book in front of me, so I can't remember what normal levels are, but I bet a quick search would get you the info Good luck!
I would like to know about good cider ph look in that book for me

Old 10-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #29
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
Liked 3402 Times on 2291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnobori1 View Post
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but won't refrigeration halt carbonation? Is the pasteurization necessary?
It will halt the yeast and it won't carbonate more. You do not need to pasteurize if you can keep all bottles cold but if you leave them at room temp, you will get bottle bombs.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #30
LandoAllen
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That isn't true... Sometimes it will still carb up in the fridge. Happened to me two different times with two different yeasts. But it takes a long time and it is a very slow process.