Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > No Secondary / Primary temps

Old 05-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
firerat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 259

Default No Secondary / Primary temps

Hey yall.

Ok I brewed a Two Hearted Ale PM clone 2 weeks ago and it's about time to dry hop.

I used to use a secondary for no other reason other than only having 1 primary and only room for one vessel in my temp controlled mini fridge. I would secondary in 5 gallon white home depot buckets. (Sue me)

Well I finally went out and got another fermentation bucket but I am still limited to one bucket in the chamber at a time.

I really don't want to rack to a secondary if I don't need to. Would leaving the beer in the primary, dry hopping, and moving the bucket out of the chamber to the room where the temps sometimes get as high as 80F be ok? I know in a secondary temp aren't a big factor, but what about in the primary sitting on the cake?

I should probably let it sit for another week before moving but I really want to brew again on saturday.

what do you guys think?

Old 05-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
jso_shea
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I can't say for sure about the temperature, but I think 80 may be bad for the yeast, or it may just make fermentation take longer, it could kill the yeast. As for leaving the beer onthr yeast cake, I did this because my secondary was infected and had no option and it greatly magnified the yeast flavor in the beer. It went from being an almost imperceptible after taste to a primary flavor when compared to the same beer that was secondaried

Old 05-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2868 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

The temp of the beer is only a concern during the INITIAL primary fermentation time...the time it takes for the yeast to be eating sugars and peeing alcohol and farting co2...ergo producing the "waste" that we drink. Meaning the first week to 10 days when anything is happening. The rest of the time you leave a beer in a primary, or rack to a secondary, the beer is NOT fermenting. It's conditioning/clearing.

Temps affect their output, not their condiitioning time. So it doesn't really matter what temp it sits at after. Yeah 90-100 is probably not all that good. But whatever your room temp is, is fine.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew
People Like This 
Old 05-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
firerat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 259

Right on Revvy!! That's pretty much what I thought. It never gets hotter than 80F, if it even gets there.

I'll let it go until tomorrow morning to make it a nice round 14 days, then take the primary out of the fridge, dry hop, and let it clarify for a week or so (maybe 2).

I really need a bigger fermenting chamber, but I also need to stay married so......