Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Homebrew Beginner

Old 05-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
crowe355
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Homebrew Beginner

Hello all, I am brand new when it comes to home brewing. I purchased and used a brew kit from Brooklyn Brew Shop, I was happy with the results from my first go round but I want to make my own beer not from a kit. I have no idea where to start, I do know however that I want/need my beer to be gluten free, and the hoppier the better. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
thatjonguy
Now with 57.93% more awesome!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 688 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 356

Ray Daniels' Designing Great Beers along with John Palmer's How to Brew should be a good start. Plus all the great knowledge on this site. You are on the right path, go forth and brew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyS View Post
The biggest argument against using UPS is the fact that a UPS employee sent me a package using FedEx.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
crowe355
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatjonguy
Ray Daniels' Designing Great Beers along with John Palmer's How to Brew should be a good start. Plus all the great knowledge on this site. You are on the right path, go forth and brew!
Thank you, I'll have to check it out.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
dmashl
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 20

www.Beersmith.com has alot of user designed recipes. also buy the software, it has really helped me design some good recipes. Most of it is figuring out what grains and hops you like. Beersmith with will help with the ratios to make the beer like the style you want to make.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
crowe355
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmashl
www.Beersmith.com has alot of user designed recipes. also buy the software, it has really helped me design some good recipes. Most of it is figuring out what grains and hops you like. Beersmith with will help with the ratios to make the beer like the style you want to make.
Awesome. It is all seeming overwhelming here at first. I guess it just takes time, research, and enjoying the whole process.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
dmashl
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Sometimes what I do is go on the beer manufacturer website....I like Summit brewing beers, go there and they will tell you what grains and hops are used, but they don't tell you how much of the ingredients they use.. Then I use beersmith to work out the numbers (IBU, Color,etc), Made the extra pale ale and one person I gave a side by side of my beer to the original. they said it tastes the same.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #7
Osedax
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 52 Posts

Check out the gluten free recipe section. It has some pretty good info.

I recommend 50/50 sorghum and rice syrup with some amber candi syrup. Use some honey if you want it drier. Us-05 or your favorite clean american yeast. Use an extreme hop schedule. A good start would be to look at a highly rated ipa recipe on here and use those hops. I am on a new zealand hop kick right now.

Steep some toasted grains if your feeling up to it. Your on the right track. When you are ready, post the recipe you want to use and we can help.
My House IPA

Old 05-14-2013, 01:57 AM   #8
ChasidicCalvinist
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

If you want a hoppy beer a 3:1 ratio of sorghum to rice syrup works quite well.

For malty beers limit or eliminate sorghum.

http://acts2815.wordpress.com

Old 05-15-2013, 01:50 AM   #9
crowe355
Recipes 

Thank you everyone for your support and great ideas. Is a one gallon carboy a good size for starting out or should I go bigger?

Old 05-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
GrantH
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've got two books, I'll have to get the titles though. One is like 80 Great Recipes or something like that and the other is like Designing Great Beer. Not sure exactly.