Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Multiple brews in a day

Old 05-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
theCougfan97
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Default Multiple brews in a day

With less days to brew my only option is to brew more beer on those days I get. I see many people do this and I was hoping for some experienced advice. My 5gallon setup is as follows:
15 gal ss pot
5gal mash tun cooler (old)
10 gal mash tun cooler
1 propane burner
1 2000watt heat stick
1 50' copper immersion chiller

I assumed I would utilize both mash tuns by letting one rest on the sidelines while I brew the other. Is there any other must add equipment or process tricks I can use to reduce time?

Old 05-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
rklinck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 49

The best way to reduce time is to figure out ways to mash two brews at once. For example, I have a Dusseldorf Alt recipe that differs from my Kolsch recipe only slightly (I add roasted barley to the Alt). I have brewed these together a couple of times. I mash a double batch of the Kolsch recipe, drain, sparge, and make sure the 13.5 gallons are mixed well. I then transfer half back to a mash tun and add the roasted barley while I am starting my boil on the Kolsch (one time I had emptied the spent grain and steeped the roasted barley and one time I left half the grain in and added the barley before adding the liquid back).

Old 05-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
reverendj1
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Am I missing something here? Couldn't you do 10 gal batches with that setup?

Old 05-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
rklinck

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendj1 View Post
Am I missing something here? Couldn't you do 10 gal batches with that setup?
I think the point is that he wants to do different 5 gallon batches for variety.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
theCougfan97
Recipes 

Sorry I should have mentioned I would like to do 2 seperate beers at 5 or 10 gallons each (10 when I get a solid dialed in recipe)

I was considering heating up all the water for two separate mash tuns, and leaving one to rest until I complete the first full batch and then drain and sparge the second batch.
Any reason that won't work?

I am also considering introducing a second pot to heat with my heat stick so the sparge water is ready to go for batch 2 as soon as I finish batch 1.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
Pratzie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Camlocks for tubing connections. Also a big tub of sanitizer to put different utensils in to soak and sanitize in between batches.

Do you have a pump? And i don't see anything as far as a wort chiller mentioned either. That will help in between batches so u don't have to wait for one to cool very long in an ice bath.
Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 05-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
rklinck

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCougfan97 View Post
I was considering heating up all the water for two separate mash tuns, and leaving one to rest until I complete the first full batch and then drain and sparge the second batch.
Any reason that won't work?
If I am understanding you, the idea is to start the mashes at the same time (not just heating the water at the same time). The only issue I would see is that you are likely to lose a pretty good amount of temp in the second mash tun while you are boiling, cooling, and transferring the first batch. This would mean that the second batch would be high on the fermentable sugars resulting in high attenuation. If you want to avoid this, you would need to do a good mash out on the second mash tun to denature all the enzymes. That would set your sugar makeup.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1168 Times on 732 Posts
Likes Given: 1048

I'm not sure that the 10 gallon cooler mash tun is big enough for 10 gallon batches. Mine's a 12 gallon, and it's often a tight fit during sparging, and that's just with 5 gallon batches. To do a 10 gallon batch, you'd have to keep the grain bill pretty light, I would imagine.

As for the multiple brews, I'd be hesitant to try and run them simultaneously. I'd be afraid of getting too busy and missing a crucial step.

I've done multiple brew days in the past, but it was more serial, with a bit of overlap, than concurrent. I'd heat up my strike water and dough-in batch #1. Then I'd batch sparge, and while sparging, I'd heat up strike water for the second batch. I'd drain second runnings for the first batch, scoop the grains out of the mash tun, give it a rinse, then dough-in with the second batch while heating the first batch to boiling. Boil the first batch while the second batch mashes, then run batch #1 through the chiller, rinse the break material out of the kettle, and immediately drain first runnings for the second batch.

You don't have to thoroughly clean the equipment between batches because the boil will sterilize the wort.
maltoftheearth Likes This 
Old 05-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
theCougfan97
Recipes 

No pumps but i do use an immersion chiller (50') copper.

Is attenuation bad? I was guessing I could monitor the temp and add hot water as needed.

With only the one pot is there a method people use to capture the first running of the 2nd batch? Would a bottling bucket work? Since I will boil that wort later anyway?

Old 05-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
rklinck

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCougfan97 View Post
No pumps but i do use an immersion chiller (50') copper.

Is attenuation bad? I was guessing I could monitor the temp and add hot water as needed.

With only the one pot is there a method people use to capture the first running of the 2nd batch? Would a bottling bucket work? Since I will boil that wort later anyway?
Attenuation is not necessarily bad, but a highly attenuated beer will taste thinner than a less attenuated beer.

You could use the mash tun you use for the first batch to catch the runnings from the second batch.