Irish Stout Ó Flannagáin Standard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP004 Irish Ale
Yeast Starter
1/2 C. DME 1 Pint Water 36 hours
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
29 Black
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 Week 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 Weeks 64
6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 64.86 %
1.00 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 10.81 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 10.81 %
0.75 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.11 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 17.2 IBU

NOTES: Absolutely delcious. The new house stout around here. It is smooth, creamy, malty and a nice hit of chocolate. The Roasted is barely noticable through the intense cream. The aroma is powerful and malty. Perfect bitterness. This beer is great!

Nah, was around 156/57. i bottled 6 of em and tasted one that was excellent. Keg should be good and carbed tonight thougha nd I'll try and take a photo if I get a nice head :)

Evan! said:
Save a bottle for our swap, seefresh!

Don't worry, one already has your name on it. About to post pics in a minute. I just pulled one of the keg .... mmmmMMMMMMMM unbelievable head, so smooth, strong lace all the way down the mug, the head has stayed at a half inch for over half the beer and I"m still drinking on it.

stout1.jpg

stout2.jpg

That... beer... looks.... .... beautiful. The head on that is perfect, thick and dark. Haven't made a batch of beer since last winter, this will be my next one I promise.

gluckliches trinken!

Very nice! Are you using straight CO2 on the keg? I have yet to do a stout but you have me thinking it is higher on the list than it was.

Yep, force carbed this one. It was my first kegged beer and was antsy to try it. Worked well though. I actually finished the keg off last night while camping with some friends in the ozarks.

So it came out great w/force carbing --- yeah, that's definitely going toward the top of my to-brew list!

I'm brewing this today.....I've been wanting to make a stout for a while, and this looked like just the ticket! I'll let you know how it turns out!

Just wondering if you roasted your own barley? Trying to remember if you were going to. Pics look great! Have you thought about making an oatmeal stout with the same recipe?

the_Roqk said:
Just wondering if you roasted your own barley? Trying to remember if you were going to. Pics look great! Have you thought about making an oatmeal stout with the same recipe?

Yes! because I need to brew it again and I'm out of flaked barley. I honestly don't think it'll be as good though. I LOVE oatmeal stouts... but when I just want a stout stout, I think the flaked barley added that touch. And, nah, I didn't roast my own barley.

ScubaSteve: DEFINITELY let us know how it comes out!

I'll give a second opinion on this one, since I'm probably one of few here who've tried this stout. It's pretty damn tasty. Between the hefe, the stout, and the beautiful brew day, Ó Flannagáin and I had a great afternoon!

Looks like a good one, O Flannagain! This past weekend, I got just about all the ingredients I need to do a ten gallon batch of it. However, I am having a *really* difficult time finding the EK Goldings hops due to the damn hop shortage. Have you ever tried it with anything else? (hopefully something that is available these days???) I was gonna go with fuggles, but those are just about as hard to find.....

How frustrating!

Any suggestions???

Thanks!

sleepystevenson said:
Looks like a good one, O Flannagain! This past weekend, I got just about all the ingredients I need to do a ten gallon batch of it. However, I am having a *really* difficult time finding the EK Goldings hops due to the damn hop shortage. Have you ever tried it with anything else? (hopefully something that is available these days???) I was gonna go with fuggles, but those are just about as hard to find.....

How frustrating!

Any suggestions???

Thanks!

You could probably sub with any other Goldings.

sleepystevenson said:

How frustrating!

Any suggestions???

Thanks!

Yea, I think fuggles is a parent for goldings or something like that. I plan on trying with fuggles in the not too distant future. According to the wiki Williamette and styrian goldings will work as substitutions for EKG. Glad I picked up a lb of EKG!! :D :D

Thanks for the replies! I just called my LHBS (cause I know he gets his orders in on tuesday) and to my surprise he had some goldings!!! woo-hoo! Not the East Kent variety, but Goldings none the less!

Sounds like I will be ready to go with your stout next weekend!

And stout season is definitely in full swing in north western PA!:rockin:

Hey Guys-

Just wanted to say I tapped my keg of this on Thanksgiving and it effin' ROCKS! I sat there trying to think about how to improve it, and I really couldn't come up with anything! Great mouthfeel, awesome roasty finish...VERY little room for improvement. This is truly one of those beers that beats a commercial example any day of the week. I used Northern Brewer hops, and an extra pound of 2 row (my efficiency sucks). Definitely gonna do this one again.

How long did you let this sit in primary and secondary? Looks to me that ScubaSteve went from Brewday to drinking in 22 days? Is that right? Damn, I need to get my kegging gear.

Yeah, I waited a couple weeks, then went directly from primary to keg for another week of aging at room temp. Turned out great, and because I stored in the keg under about 20 psi, it came out with adequate carbonation. Definitely a good beer, but I find I can only have about 3 before I feel bloated, etc.

ScubaSteve said:
Yeah, I waited a couple weeks, then went directly from primary to keg for another week of aging at room temp. Turned out great, and because I stored in the keg under about 20 psi, it came out with adequate carbonation. Definitely a good beer, but I find I can only have about 3 before I feel bloated, etc.

I had 3 last night. I didn't have them back to back though, they were thrown in a mix. Didn't really feel bloated though, I piss so much when I drink I almost feel empty.

Ó Flannagáin said:
I had 3 last night. I didn't have them back to back though, they were thrown in a mix. Didn't really feel bloated though, I piss so much when I drink I almost feel empty.

Maybe it's cuz I try to pound water in between pints.....:p

This weekend I plan on brewing a Partial Mash verision of this recipe. I used Beersmith to help me with the conversions. Also, I am substituting Fuggles for the EKG. What do you think? Is it gonna come close?

Recipe: O' Flannagain's Standard Stout
TYPE: Partial Mash

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 24.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.50 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (End of Boil) Dry Extract 28.25 %
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 45.20 %
0.75 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 8.47 %
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.47 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5.65 %
0.35 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.95 %
1.25 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 16.3 IBU
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.35 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 7.94 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Do you notice much activity with your starter for this? This is my first starter, and first liquid yeast, and I don't have much airlock activity going on in my 1/2gallon growler that I made the starter. I made the starter late last night, so it's been about 24hours. I hope to brew tomorrow morning. I have seen a couple of airlock bubbles, but just not much.

Just finished my batch of this recipe. Smells and looks great! Hydro sample wasn't too shabby either! I hit the SG on the money, with exactly 5gallons going into primary. I'm stoked to have my second AG done, and much more successfully than the first.....except the fact that my a$$ is frozen!

Yeah, thanks for posting and helping me out! I've really become a Stout fan this year, after years of not really being into them because I thought that Guiness was the end all of Stouts. Not really my thing. But after a few Samuel Smith's, and others...I'm hooked. I think I may try a Oatmeal Stout on this yeastcake after I switch it to secondary.

If you were going to do an Oatmeal Stout with this basic recipe, would you just replace the Flaked Barley with Flaked Oats? Any other adjustments that I should plan on making? I think I may try and do a small oatmeal stout batch (2-3gallons) on the yeast cake once I pull this out of the Primary. Any ideas OFlannagain?

jacobyhale said:
If you were going to do an Oatmeal Stout with this basic recipe, would you just replace the Flaked Barley with Flaked Oats? Any other adjustments that I should plan on making? I think I may try and do a small oatmeal stout batch (2-3gallons) on the yeast cake once I pull this out of the Primary. Any ideas OFlannagain?

Personally I'd replace the flaked with flaked oats and even up it to 1.5lbs. Although for 2 or 3 gallons 1 lb would probably be good.

Simple stout but awesome taste.

I made this for some friends and we fell in love. This will be one that I brew again without changing anything.

:) :) :) :)

I am transfering mine to the secondary tomorrow...which of course means I will be enjoying at least a pint of this guy tomorrow. Will let you know how that goes :)

Back