Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > The 'Eugenia Uniflora' mead experiment

Old 05-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
IdoNisso
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default The 'Eugenia Uniflora' mead experiment

Hey guys,
I have a Eugenia Uniflora tree in my garden and it's fruits are calling to me...
In case you don't know what it is (I didn't know the fruit until I had a tree), it's also known as the Surinam Cherry or Brazillian Cherry. Google it.

In case you're wondering about the fruit itself: is the size of a cherry, has an orange/red color, tastes like a combination of tomato and yellow bell pepper with some sourness and sweetness.

Yesterday, I was at my HBS and saw small fermentation vessels (10 Liters) and decided it's time to experiment. I've been wanting to make mead for a few years now and never have..

Anyhoo, I don't suppose someone has any experience with this fruit in beer/mead..? The plan is to make mead with it.
This thread is mostly just for me to document the process and share with you guys the weirdly awesome fruit.

11/5 - Took down a bit more of 2 Kgs of fruit from the tree, and stuck in the freezer. In a few days i'll take some more down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-11 11.53.06.jpg
Views:	875
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	121389   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-11 11.52.52.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	121390   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-11 11.53.56.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	121391  

Bottled: 2010 Imperial Stout, Plum Belgian Ale, Single Hop Simcoe IPA, Calvados-Oak Aged IPA, El-Dorado & Calypso DIPA, Pitango Melomel.

Next Up: Blood Orange Summer Wheat.

Reason: Added pics of tree, fruit on tree, and frozen bag of fruit.
Avocet Likes This 
Old 05-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
IdoNisso
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Recipe concerns:

The 2.6 gallon (10 liter) fermentation tank i'm gonna use is small. I'm not sure it'll hold the amount of liquid + fruit i'm aiming for. That's why i'll rack into one of my primary 6 gallon carboys.

So the recipe is as simple as:
7 lbs Honey (haven't decided what kind yet)
2 gal water
S-04 yeast

Once initial fermentation is calm, I'll rack into carboy + thawed fruit WITH stones. 'Drown' the floaters / Stir every two days for 2-3 weeks.

I can't find any nutrients for the yeast around here, so i'm praying that all will go well. Tips/tricks/notes/observations are welcome!

Bottled: 2010 Imperial Stout, Plum Belgian Ale, Single Hop Simcoe IPA, Calvados-Oak Aged IPA, El-Dorado & Calypso DIPA, Pitango Melomel.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 182 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Nutrients ? Mail order a small pack 100 or 200 grammes ? Not expensive and I shouldn't have though the shipping/postage would be much......

Hell, a good hunt around and you might even find someone who'd sell you a little of the kosher certified version of Fermaidk.

Not knowing that fruit I can't think of quantity per gallon but if you racked the base mead onto the fruit at about 2/3rd sugar break you'd have enough CO2 produced to blanket in the larger fermenter and then you could punch down any fruit cap daily like when making proper grape wines......

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!
IdoNisso Likes This 
Old 05-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
IdoNisso
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
Hell, a good hunt around and you might even find someone who'd sell you a little of the kosher certified version of Fermaidk.
Kosher or not is a non-issue for me and mine.
I talked to my HBS guy again today and he said he has some nutrients on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
Not knowing that fruit I can't think of quantity per gallon but if you racked the base mead onto the fruit at about 2/3rd sugar break you'd have enough CO2 produced to blanket in the larger fermenter and then you could punch down any fruit cap daily like when making proper grape wines......
2/3rd sugar break sounds like a plan.
Thanks!

Old 05-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
fatbloke
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoNisso View Post
Kosher or not is a non-issue for me and mine.
I talked to my HBS guy again today and he said he has some nutrients on the way.
Excellent. I was gonna suggest trying Brouwland in Belgium as they have a track record for international shipping and the nutrivit is pretty good stuff.
Quote:
2/3rd sugar break sounds like a plan.
Thanks!
If it was my brew, I'd most likely wait for the ferment to finish completely then work out an approximate weight of fruit to the gallon, then just rack it onto the fruit in glass jugs/carboys so its all enclosed. The point being that I'm lazy and the batches would be left until the fruit dropped.

Then again I have enough glass of various sizes.

The 2/3rd sugar break idea is probably a good compromise given the need to use a bucket that will have extra air space etc. I would still punch the cap down daily or even just swirl the fermenter as it would prevent possible air/O2 issues with the fruit and the cap drying out etc etc.

I hope you'll update this one about how it finishes up. It's always good to read of how unusual (here anyway) fruit works out.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
Avocet
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Interesting. These things pop up everywhere in FLA and I have tried making a pie with them but it was NOT good. There are a handful of cultivars and the deep red/purple seems to be the most palatable to me (and the birds)-they volunteer everywhere. I don't think I have seen the cultivar you have but have read about it. I have a hedge of the deep red ones -but I don't the the birds would allow me to come up with that many ripe ones at any one time. They only grow to maybe 5-6 feet here. Good luck I will keep an eye on this thread.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
WVMJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Sounds like they would be great in a salsa! I prefer to split the fruit between the primary with most of the fruit and the secondary add some fruit to refresh the taste. There always seems to be two camps on this, those that want to make fruit flavored mead and those who want to make fermented fruit mead. The taste of your fruit does not seem to be very strong? so add as much as you can in the primary would give you more flavor in the end than just added a little bit at the end, or do both and get the best of both methods.

I have heard that this tree also is a very good nectar plant, do you have any local beekeepers who could sell you some brazilian pepper tree honey?

WVMJ

Old 05-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
fatbloke
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMJ View Post
-----snip-----
I have heard that this tree also is a very good nectar plant, do you have any local beekeepers who could sell you some brazilian pepper tree honey?

WVMJ
See now that's what I call a complete effin' masterstroke of an idea Jack.......

StoneArcher Likes This 
Old 05-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
IdoNisso
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMJ View Post
Sounds like they would be great in a salsa! I prefer to split the fruit between the primary with most of the fruit and the secondary add some fruit to refresh the taste. There always seems to be two camps on this, those that want to make fruit flavored mead and those who want to make fermented fruit mead. The taste of your fruit does not seem to be very strong? so add as much as you can in the primary would give you more flavor in the end than just added a little bit at the end, or do both and get the best of both methods.

WVMJ
The split sounds like a great idea, I'll do it.
2/3rds in primary and 1/3rd in secondary is the way to go?

I'm a noob in all honey-related, so I didn't quite understand the nectar/brazilian pepper tree thing..

Old 05-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
WVMJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Whoops, got it confused with the Brazilian pepper tree which over here is used to make honey, your tree seems to be good for pollen not nectar. WVMJ