Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Extreme Frustration; What am I doing wrong?!!

Old 05-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #21
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 865 Times on 599 Posts
Likes Given: 265

My first thought was infection. You might have something in your better bottle that's not gettig killed by a simple rinse. I had a few infected batches that I traced to my bottling bucket.

Now I re-clean my better bottles the night before I need them. I use Oxy/TSP and let them soak all night, rinse, and immediately add starsan. I fill the better bottle all the way up with starsan and let it soak for a few hours. I dump most of the starsan out into a bucket for use during the rest of my brew session. Then I cap the better bottle until I need it.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #22
Conan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Isn't band-aid caused by oxygenation? If so, maybe you're causing the flavor somewhere pre-fermentation (hot transfer, etc.) and it's only manifesting in the fermenter. You mentioned the first couple were wheats, which have a pretty mild flavor compared to something like a robust porter or an IIPA. What were the other beers you noticed it on? Were they mild-flavored or full, with plenty of hops/ malt/ adjuncts to overpower an off-flavor?
You could try sampling a cup of wort from the fermenter, before pitching yeast. Let it cool, refrigerate it to drinking temps, etc. and try that. See if you notice the taste there. I could just be blowing smoke- I'm no longer up on my off flavors. Kyle

Old 05-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #23
DanH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintman
I know you are sanitizing with starsan but do you use bleach at all. Every few batches I will run bleach through the system and if you do not rinse that with plenty of hot water you will get bandaid
No bleach. Thank you though.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #24
DanH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy
My first thought was infection. You might have something in your better bottle that's not gettig killed by a simple rinse. I had a few infected batches that I traced to my bottling bucket.
I'm thinking infection too, but that would mean I have three infected better bottles. I didn't think I was anywhere near that lazy with cleanliness/sanitation.

Should I trash the better bottles?

Old 05-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #25
DanH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan
Isn't band-aid caused by oxygenation?
I didn't think oxygenation was bad 'pre-pitch'

Old 05-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #26
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5941 Times on 4236 Posts
Likes Given: 1516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
Isn't band-aid caused by oxygenation?
No.

Band-aid/medicinal/chloroseptic flavors come from chlorophenols. It could come from chlorine in the brewing water, or from infection.

I have a silly thought- have you tried "other" distilled water brands? Maybe what you're buying isn't always 100% pure.

Can you try a batch with reverse osmosis water (often from those big "water machines" in the grocery stores or Wal-mart) and make up the star-san with distilled or RO water as well? If you use a brand new water supply, a brand new bucket for a fermenter and NO equipment that you've used before, and the flavor persists that would lead some answers.

How do you take care of your yeast? Are you making starters? Using dry? Or reusing some strains? Can a yeast contamination be possible? That's where I got my 10 gallon batch of "band aid beer" from- a repitched yeast slurry that must have been contaminated.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 05-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #27
DanH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
How do you take care of your yeast? Are you making starters? Using dry? Or reusing some strains? Can a yeast contamination be possible? That's where I got my 10 gallon batch of "band aid beer" from- a repitched yeast slurry that must have been contaminated.
I white labs vials (and the occasional smack pack). I submerge them into my diluted StarSan before opening and pouring them in. I don't currently make starters but I hope to as soon as I get this figured out.

As for water... I will try the RO.

Is it possible that it could just be a random bug, floating through the air, and landing in my wort while I'm chilling it? At that point, it is just sitting outside on my deck, in a turkey fryer with a lid on about half way.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #28
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I would try mixing up star san with different water as a first step, I've heard cloramine levels can really vary depending on when they add it and how far from the treatment center you are, and maybe your off batches got a big dose of it mixed with the sanitizer.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:38 AM   #29
dotJerdot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Assuming it's not well water, have you tried using your tap water? Or spring instead of distilled?

Old 05-12-2013, 02:28 AM   #30
DanH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotJerdot
Assuming it's not well water, have you tried using your tap water? Or spring instead of distilled?
I've used each, and have gotten it from both spring water and distilled. I try to avoid my tap water (galvanized pipes in an older home = yuck).