Albany Area Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renegade

Reaction score
This section of the board seems to rarely see anything new.

How many people here are in the Albany area? I'm about 45 minutes away myself, but Albany is the closest thing to me worth mentioning, so there you have it, who's out there?

Fort Plain, 45 minutes West of Albany. Just starting brewing this year so I'm still learning a lot.

Glad to see some local people on here. brew_ny, you are about 15 minutes from me, if you ever need a hand on brew day or wanna sit down and talk about homebrew over a homebrew, shoot me a PM.

I'm from Wells, NY about a 75 minute drive to Albany. It's in Hamilton County (Pop. 4700 for the whole county) of the southern Adirondacks about 35 minutes north of Gloversville or 45 minutes north of Amsterdam. My closest LHBS is in the Albany area.

Would love to participate in group buys.

Steve, I believe there is a small LHBS that just opened up, or is opening up in Johnstown. AJ Brew Supplies? Something like that anyway. Probably won't have the selection the Albany/Saratoga stores have at 1st. The Little Falls Co-Op (Herkimer County) also has some brew supplies and they will order something if they don't have it. I work in Albany and travel back to Canajoharie-Fort Plain, so if you ever need anything down this way maybe I can help out.

I'd love the opportunity to sit-in on a brew session sometime with some of the more experienced brewers around here.

Steve, I believe there is a small LHBS that just opened up, or is opening up in Johnstown. AJ Brew Supplies? Something like that anyway. Probably won't have the selection the Albany/Saratoga stores have at 1st. The Little Falls Co-Op (Herkimer County) also has some brew supplies and they will order something if they don't have it. I work in Albany and travel back to Canajoharie-Fort Plain, so if you ever need anything down this way maybe I can help out.

I'd love the opportunity to sit-in on a brew session sometime with some of the more experienced brewers around here.

I believe you are right did some goggling but did not come up with it

I buy my horse feed over in the Palatine Bridge area shop in fort plain from time to time

I work down in Albany also but have not checked out the brew shops down there

I have been buying my stuff online , just got a keg setup from Keg Connection

ordered on Tuesday they shipped on Wednesday here on Saturday by FedEx

packed great , shipped quick and at a great price

will be shopping with them again for sure

I have not started to brew yet but will be in the next couple of weeks I am still waiting on a few pieces of equipment

just ordered a a 64 quart pot to boil in as I want to do ten gallon batches, a 13 gallon fermenter

I will start with a extract kit, then do a partial mash and hopefully move to doing all grain

also working on getting my space setup to work also looking for a deal on a chest freezer

Glad to see some local people on here. brew_ny, you are about 15 minutes from me, if you ever need a hand on brew day or wanna sit down and talk about homebrew over a homebrew, shoot me a PM

I sure will I have been busy at work doing an upgrade I am a Network Administrator for manufacturer down in Albany so I have not PMed you but will thanks for the offer

The best to all and have a great weekend

S_M

I'll keep an eye out for the home-brew shop. Like brew_ny, I couldn't find it with a google search. Because of my remote location, I get most of my gear and ingredients online, but I try to drop money at LHBS as I can. Thanks for the offer to pick up supplies!

I just started this year too, but I am planning my 12th batch for tomorrow. I've learned a lot along the way.

I believe it is on Perry Street in Johnstown I think I read about it in the Leader Herald

steveoc I have a friend I go see up in Hope and I use Matt Long the Vet before the Northville Bridge

but I try to drop money at LHBS as I can

I try to spend my $ local if I can, have yourself a great brew day

all the best and be safe

S_M

3BB, Congrats on filing your TTB application. Hopefully everything goes smoothly for you! That's pretty exciting. You'll have to keep us upstaters in the loop on your progress.

I'd love to sit in on a brew with you, unfortunately for me, I won't be around next weekend.

We're brewing next Sunday, June 9th if anyone is interested in stopping by.

Also just filed our TTB application tonight to bring our dreams of going pro a little closer :)

Where are you at? I will be in the Albany area tomorrow night into sunday.

I'm from the Utica-area, but I am in Albany frequently. Anyone know of any upcoming competitions other than the state fair? I've never tried one, but I think it would be fun.

How did the weekend brews go? I know 3BB001 and brehuh were brewing on Sunday. I have to get another batch going but will probably wait until next week when my brother comes up from Raleigh to try and get him into the hobby. I need to get some more fermenters!

I found out a little more about the LHBS in Johnstown. It's called AJ's Brewery Supplies located at 25 West Main Street. Hours are 11:00-6:00 M-F and Saturdays by appointment only.

Brew session went well, we brewed an English Pale Ale and a Bock. Sorry to those who wanted to stop by, I forgot to check the thread before brew day.

We'll probably brew again in about 3 weeks, I'll post up once we finalize the date in case anyone wants to stop by.

Also anyone wanting to come by and grab a growler of beer let me know, we're trying to spread the word about our Nano-brewery so we give out a fair amount of beer for those willing to spread the word to their friends and like us on facebook.

!

I found out a little more about the LHBS in Johnstown. It's called AJ's Brewery Supplies located at 25 West Main Street. Hours are 11:00-6:00 M-F and Saturdays by appointment only.

found a phone #518-736-1852 I will give him a call and let you all know I was going to drive to Saratoga and pick up three sack of grain

but Johnstown would be much closer

all the best

S_M

Just talked to Aaron, the owner of AJs Brewery Supplies. He just started and opened the store next to his sportswear/embroidery business.

He said he usually opens doors by noon and sticks around until 5 or by appointment.

He encourages contact through the Facebook page. I couldn't check it out because I am the only person on the planet without a FB account.

I'll probably check it out this week.

Thanks to steveoc for introducing me to this forum. We have been open for little while now just start to grow and find out needs of home brewers. I am Aaron and Jay is my partner here. Our facebook page AJBrewerySupplies gives you some info and pics of our place. Send us a note if your looking for something and we can save you a trip. We also can get it in approximately 3 days if we don's and can let you know when its in. Let us know your needs and we will be happy to help you out. Webpage coming soon...which will help with orders as well. Also looking to run seminars or maybe just meetings with locals to talk about brewing. Your input is important.

Aaron I am out in Charleston and go to Johnstown from time to time are you selling 55/50 lbs bags of grain ? can you give me an idea of prices ? is the phone # good to call? I do not do facebook and have no plans to any time soon

let me know and thanks

S_M

I stopped by to pick up a few items. He's just getting started and inventory is growing. You should probably give him a call or an email before you go.

The email address (for those not FaceBook inclined) is ajbrewerysupplies at that gmail thing.

He's a nice guy and looks forward to getting this going. He'd like to host some homebrew get-togethers.

Putting a shout out to Brian? Brian called yesterday (Wednesday) wanted me to call him back but didn't leave me a number to call. Brian leave message me your number and I will get back to you. Thanks.

Aaron

Hey Albany area brewers!

I am working with the Schoharie County fair to put together a "brew day" demo at the fair this summer. It looks like we are going to be doing it August 3rd (Saturday) from 12-5 or so. We are looking for fellow homebrewers to come and brew, talk about homebrewing, and just hang out and have fun. It is open to all sorts brewers of all levels and techniques (AG, PM, extract, BIAB). Mead makers are also welcome! You don't have to be local, or from Schoharie county to brew either!

In addition to the brew day, there is also a homebrew contest going at the fair this year.

If you area able to brew, send me a PM to let me know. Thanks everybody!

Jesse

Uphill Brewing
Cobleskill, NY

Hey all, just thought I'd introduce myself. I live about halfway between Fort Plain and Fonda out in Stone Arabia. I've been brewing for about four years. I run a 3 keggle all grain setup and I grow my own hops. Our farm has a website if anyone's interested in checking it out:

www.marshmallofarm.com

I'm hoping to build a farm brewery in the not too distant future.

- Sean

We are placing an order on Friday. If your are in need of anything in the upcoming future or even next week let us know your needs and we will make sure we have it available for you. Just send us message on here or FB.

We are placing an order on Friday. If your are in need of anything in the upcoming future or even next week let us know your needs and we will make sure we have it available for you. Just send us message on here or FB.

Aaron—

Are you going to be in the shop Friday afternoon? If so, I'll stop by and discuss needs and other things.

Stevoc

Hey all, just thought I'd introduce myself. I live about halfway between Fort Plain and Fonda out in Stone Arabia. I've been brewing for about four years. I run a 3 keggle all grain setup and I grow my own hops. Our farm has a website if anyone's interested in checking it out:

www.marshmallofarm.com

I'm hoping to build a farm brewery in the not too distant future.

- Sean

Was wondering if you sell hops to local homebrewers or local homebrew shops. Would be great to keep it local!

Nice place. Do you find that breweries are taking all of your hops yet?

Honestly, some of the larger breweries in the area that do want fresh local hops don't seem very interested in paying much for them, not enough to make growing them profitable. Some of the new smaller breweries in the area might be, though. I don't have that many hills, around 60, and I grow organically, so my yields are not giant. I've used most of last year's crop already just by myself. My neighbors have around 200 hills, and they have sold to a local brewery, but again, it seems like they have to pay more for the harvesting than they can sell them for. I'd be much more interested in selling to homebrewers.

nice to see another local I buy my animal feed out your way from Logans

I live across the river on 162 in the town of Charleston

all the best

S_M

I buy some of my feed from them as well, they're very close. And you're a Misfits fan? I used to run a small punk/hardcore record label a ways back.

- Sean

Was wondering if you sell hops to local homebrewers or local homebrew shops. Would be great to keep it local!

I had planned to start doing that this year, but with the state of my hop yard so far, I'm going to have to see how it goes and how much I'm going to end up with. My Hallertaur, Golding, and Columbus did terrible with the wet weather and I've barely had any time to do weeding.

- Sean

Back