Flanders Red, 6 month tasting - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Flanders Red, 6 month tasting

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
malweth
 
malweth's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Wakefield, RI
Posts: 461
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts



I tasted my Flanders last weekend when I was finishing up another beer (Westvleteren 12 clone). It was only slightly sour with a very strong cherry flavor and it was very oakey, which faded after a while in the glass. I used an medium toast oak spiral.

I know it's only 6 months, but how much more sour should it get? It's barely noticeable next to my Berliner Weisse.

Will the oak drop out more over time? (From other oak threads, it seems yes - somewhat... but this is my first oaked beer).
__________________
[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12° Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
dcHokie
 
dcHokie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Washington, DC
Posts: 1,591
Liked 257 Times on 195 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by malweth View Post
I tasted my Flanders last weekend when I was finishing up another beer (Westvleteren 12 clone). It was only slightly sour with a very strong cherry flavor and it was very oakey, which faded after a while in the glass. I used an medium toast oak spiral.

I know it's only 6 months, but how much more sour should it get? It's barely noticeable next to my Berliner Weisse.

Will the oak drop out more over time? (From other oak threads, it seems yes - somewhat... but this is my first oaked beer).
In my experience (with mine and friends' Flanders Reds), it isn't until after the 12 month mark but really closer to 18 months that they develop that nice complex vinous sour flavor.
__________________
so many sour things

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
solbes
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Ramsey & Akeley, Mn
Posts: 2,975
Liked 237 Times on 217 Posts


Also did you do anything to remove some of the tannins from the oak spiral (boiling, soaking in something, etc)? If you just dropped it in, I can see why it is very oaky.

I have oak cubes in my 2 sour batches, but they were already soaked in something or lightly boiled prior to adding. I want the oak there mainly for a bug hideout and will use them to innoculate future batches.

Also, not sure what bugs you pitched, or whether Flanders Reds are supposed to have lacto, pedio, and brett? But I only used the dregs from Odells Deconstruction and a Jolly Pumpkin sour. They are both really sour already (5 month mark) and its first generation. Just starting to take on the brett character. My 1 gallon jug was fermented with only JP dregs. I might have to blend in some unsoured pale beer for balance. Jolly Pumpkin is the real deal for souring if you can find some.
__________________
Primary #1: Umlaut my Kölsch VII #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Empty #3: Cab MerMarqeNac Wine
Kegged
: Mugged a Monk Paters
Bottles
: Dark Belgian Strong, Black Raspberry Rhubarb wine, RIS, Carmel Apple Cider, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Barolo Wine, Berry Rhubarb Wine, Black Currant wine
On Deck: BGSA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
malweth
 
malweth's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Wakefield, RI
Posts: 461
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
In my experience (with mine and friends' Flanders Reds), it isn't until after the 12 month mark but really closer to 18 months that they develop that nice complex vinous sour flavor.
Awesome. I was planning on letting it sit about 18 months... looks like I sample again in 6 months.

The flavor was really great - it's just the sour that wasn't there... and the oak was a bit too forward. It kind of tasted like a (very light) cherry wine.
__________________
[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12° Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
malweth
 
malweth's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Wakefield, RI
Posts: 461
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
Also did you do anything to remove some of the tannins from the oak spiral (boiling, soaking in something, etc)? If you just dropped it in, I can see why it is very oaky.

I have oak cubes in my 2 sour batches, but they were already soaked in something or lightly boiled prior to adding. I want the oak there mainly for a bug hideout and will use them to innoculate future batches.
I did just drop it in... luckily tannins will definitely drop out a bit over time. I was also planning on dropping the same spiral in for batch #2 (when it's time to bottle / keg batch #1). Do you know if the oak tends to disintegrate, as I've heard can happen with chips?
__________________
[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12° Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
solbes
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Ramsey & Akeley, Mn
Posts: 2,975
Liked 237 Times on 217 Posts


I think your spiral will be fine in future sours, at least for batch #2. My cubes look the same as they did when I pitched them initially and its been 5 months. I would guess 2-3 years before they really become a problem.
__________________
Primary #1: Umlaut my Kölsch VII #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Empty #3: Cab MerMarqeNac Wine
Kegged
: Mugged a Monk Paters
Bottles
: Dark Belgian Strong, Black Raspberry Rhubarb wine, RIS, Carmel Apple Cider, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Barolo Wine, Berry Rhubarb Wine, Black Currant wine
On Deck: BGSA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
TNGabe
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 6,655
Liked 2284 Times on 1539 Posts


You're souring time frame is going to depend on what you've pitched. There is a chart in Wild Brews that shows the timeline over which different yeasts and microbes are active and contributing to the beer's flavor, although I can't remember if that's for Flanders or Lambics.

JP dregs sound like the magic bullet for sours. Could excuse to keep a few bottles around just in case some homebrew needs the help.
__________________
The only thing worse than dumping beer is serving beer you should have dumped.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High FG on 15 month old Flanders Red thebadpun Lambic & Wild Brewing 0 04-29-2012 09:14 PM
Brewery Setup - Poll on preferences - Tasting Room or No Tasting Room? jdlev General Beer Discussion 21 06-16-2011 01:33 AM
Beer tasting > wine tasting JonM General Beer Discussion 14 03-25-2011 08:20 PM
Oak in Flanders Red Jsta Porter Lambic & Wild Brewing 5 05-15-2009 01:26 AM
Flanders red? claphamsa Lambic & Wild Brewing 20 04-01-2009 03:58 PM


Forum Jump