American IPA Pliny Light

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frod1963

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05 (2) packs
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
\\"115.9\\"
Color
7.5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
5 days dry hop
Tasting Notes
This is my favorite beer I have brewed out of 45 batches to date.
Huge amounts of tropical fruit and dankness. This is the second time I have done an IPA with Galaxy and it works very well with Simco and everything else here. Next time I brew this I will give some attempts to dry the beer out more to the 1.010-1.012 range. You can easily drink this beer hand over fist the way it is though. I use a constant recirculating full volume mash and get around 65% efficiency every time. Be aware of hop loss, I started with 8 gallons pre boil.

7 lbs two row (American)
6 lbs Pilsner
10 oz Carapils
10 oz Crystal 60
1 tsp Gypsum

1.0 oz Amarillo Mash hop (Whole)
1.0 oz Columbus 14%AA 90 min FWH (Whole)
1.0 oz Columbus 20 minutes (Whole)
1.0 oz Simco 14%AA 20 minutes (Whole)
1.5 oz Simco 14%AA 1 minute (Whole)
1.0 oz Galaxy 14.1%AA 1 minute (Pellet)
1.0 oz Chinook 14.0%AA 1 minute (Pellet)
12 oz Corn sugar

1.0 oz each (Galaxy, Columbus, Simco for 5 days)

I do a 20 minute whirlpool then turn on the immersion chiller. I was an idiot and ran this thing into a carboy and had a rather hard time shoving 3.oz of dry hop down the neck.

View attachment Pliny Light.xml

IMG_2800.jpg

View attachment Pliny Light.bsmx

I brewed this a month or so ago, and it is the best beer I've ever brewed. Thanks for posting the recipe. I didn't have Galaxy or Chinook, so I switched them out for Armarillo and Mosaic which I had on hand whole leaf, the columbus was pellets, and the result was absolutely delicious. I'm going to brew this again tomorrow and it will be the first recipe I try to do completely the same. Just a great summer beer.

Question, why the 2 packs of yeast?

I brewed this a month or so ago, and it is the best beer I've ever brewed. Thanks for posting the recipe. I didn't have Galaxy or Chinook, so I switched them out for Armarillo and Mosaic which I had on hand whole leaf, the columbus was pellets, and the result was absolutely delicious. I'm going to brew this again tomorrow and it will be the first recipe I try to do completely the same. Just a great summer beer.

Question, why the 2 packs of yeast?

Just a big yeast pitch since I wasn't using WLP 001. Glad to hear you liked it. I killed that keg pretty quick and need to re-brew it soon.

Think this would be just as good with Conan yeast? I now have it banked and I am looking for some recipes to try it with.

I'm sure it would. I had a couple 4's of Heady when this was on tap and both are super hop forward. Should work well.

@frod1963 I brewed this again today. Made a couple adjustments to the hopping from the first time I brewed it because I didn't have enough hop bags. I used an IBU calculator for the first time and the final result was 142! Does that seem about right to you or is it maybe a bit much? I've got this on draft and had to brew it again because the prospect of running out was making me anxious.

My IBu calc was done on beersmith and I believe mine is sent to Rager. At the "100+" IBu range I'm not sure 20-30 makes a huge difference like it would in a light lager.

Can you mash hop and FWH with pellets and get the same effect with the same quantity?

Huge amounts of tropical fruit and dankness. This is the second time I have done an IPA with Galaxy and it works very well with Simco and everything else here. Next time I brew this I will give some attempts to dry the beer out more to the 1.010-1.012 range. You can easily drink this beer hand over fist the way it is though. I use a constant recirculating full volume mash and get around 65% efficiency every time. Be aware of hop loss, I started with 8 gallons pre boil.

7 lbs two row (American)
6 lbs Pilsner
10 oz Carapils
10 oz Crystal 60
1 tsp Gypsum

1.0 oz Amarillo Mash hop (Whole)
1.0 oz Columbus 14%AA 90 min FWH (Whole)
1.0 oz Columbus 20 minutes (Whole)
1.0 oz Simco 14%AA 20 minutes (Whole)
1.5 oz Simco 14%AA 1 minute (Whole)
1.0 oz Galaxy 14.1%AA 1 minute (Pellet)
1.0 oz Chinook 14.0%AA 1 minute (Pellet)
12 oz Corn sugar

1.0 oz each (Galaxy, Columbus, Simco for 5 days)

I do a 20 minute whirlpool then turn on the immersion chiller. I was an idiot and ran this thing into a carboy and had a rather hard time shoving 3.oz of dry hop down the neck.

big flavour good abv.

I made the Origional pliny version (almost) except it turned out in the same abv range as yours which I considered mine a Pliny Extra pale ale or I guess what would be just be considered ipa rather than a double. Turned out really awesome though. I went with 2 row,Pale, equal: crystal 20,40,60 and subbed a little oats and biscuit for the carapils. One of my best beers. I just wish I wouldnt be so far off with doing clones all the time by having to substitute ingredients usually every time. Either way it was one beer that could not go wrong.

I was an idiot and ran this thing into a carboy and had a rather hard time shoving 3.oz of dry hop down the neck.

Ha ha, I learned that the hard way too. If I'm gonna use a significant amount of dry hops in something, a bucket makes it so much easier. Cramming things through the carboy neck is such a PITA. ;)

Would you be able to convert this to extract plus specialty grains?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Im sure its possible I just wouldn't be the best person to convert it for you. I have brewed in along time and its been probably 2 years since I've done an extract.

No worries I'm sure with a bit of digging I can figure it out. I so full boil extract batches so I just need to convert the grains to extract plus specialty grains

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Using this hop schedule with a black IPA grain bill, I shall call it Pliny in the dark will keep you guys posted on how it turns out

Brewed this today using the black ipa grain bill and grav sample tasted amazing I'm excited for this to finish lol will keep you posted

Latest posts

Back