Speeding up fermentation with Acid? Sound possible? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Speeding up fermentation with Acid? Sound possible?

Old 05-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
Bathtub_Gin
Recipes 

May 2013

I'm new to the whole 'scene' but one thing I found out is that fermenting most fruits into Wine takes weeks, usually months until their even considered 'ready'.

I'm thinking it has something to do with complex Fructose molecules that need to be breaken down. For instance, fermenting white, table Sugar (Sucrose) only takes about a week.

------------------------------------------------------

Here is what I'm thinking:
-When making the mash, you first breakdown the fruits with a relatively strong acid, citric acid maybe?
-And to prevent the acid from poisoining the Yeast, you do a Acid-Base reaction with a Base like Baking soda
-Then add your Yeast, nutrients, etc. and begin fermentation like normal

Is this possible or is it just too far out there

Old 05-09-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7836 Times on 5490 Posts

Fruit doesn't have complex sugars, and wine yeast has no trouble with fructose. It doesn't take long to ferment- usually less than 5 days total to ferment out.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:54 AM   #3
Inner10

Recipes 

Dec 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathtub_Gin View Post
I'm new to the whole 'scene' but one thing I found out is that fermenting most fruits into Wine takes weeks, usually months until their even considered 'ready'.

I'm thinking it has something to do with complex Fructose molecules that need to be breaken down. For instance, fermenting white, table Sugar (Sucrose) only takes about a week.

------------------------------------------------------

Here is what I'm thinking:
-When making the mash, you first breakdown the fruits with a relatively strong acid, citric acid maybe?
-And to prevent the acid from poisoining the Yeast, you do a Acid-Base reaction with a Base like Baking soda
-Then add your Yeast, nutrients, etc. and begin fermentation like normal

Is this possible or is it just too far out there
Opposite, fructose is a monosaccharide, simple sugar....sucrose is a disaccharide...now complex.

Yeast plows through fructose far faster than sucrose. Yeast also likes a little acid but not to much.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
Bathtub_Gin
Recipes 

May 2013

Why do they say you need to let it sit for months then even if doing homebrew? Is it just about a week to totally ferment and anything else is just for flavor?

Old 05-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Beernik
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Lopez Island, WA
Liked 555 Times on 406 Posts

"Young" flavors.

If you like drinking rocket fuel, drink it young. Otherwise it needs time for the flavors to smooth and mellow.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
Inner10

Recipes 

Dec 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathtub_Gin View Post
Why do they say you need to let it sit for months then even if doing homebrew? Is it just about a week to totally ferment and anything else is just for flavor?
Time to let the dissolved co2 escape and the flavours to blend and mellow...just makes a better product.