im a believer in ageing now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssuchem

Reaction score
well today i cracked open my 1st ever aged cider, everything else ive made has gone straight from primary into bottle. this cider was as follows:
5 cans concentrate aj
10lbs juiced granny smith
1lb juiced danjou pears
1lb juiced pink pacific apples
2lb brown sugar, water to bring to 4 gallon.
1 pack nottingham yeast

it sat on the yeast cake for 1 month
then racked into secondary for a week, then ajc added just enough to carb.
aged in the bottles for 2 weeks now, and man is it good
about 13% abv, lightly carbed, its crisp and tart, but has a nice apple aroma and very clear, nice light golden color. almost like a tart apple champagne but not nearly as carbed. i think this is the best ive made so far. guess good things are worth the wait.

Nice.

13% is pretty pokey

How much ajc for carb?

I have an apple wine thing I just tried after 4 years. Tastes like apple sherry. It's quite nice.

At 13% you have wine, not cider. Sounds tasty. Out of curiosity, when you say it sat on the cake for a month do you mean start to bottle, or for a month after it hit FG? What was the start date on this batch?

At 13% you have wine, not cider. Sounds tasty. Out of curiosity, when you say it sat on the cake for a month do you mean start to bottle, or for a month after it hit FG? What was the start date on this batch?

it was a month from the begining of fermentation till i racked into secondary, but it was at final gravity after a week, sat for 3 more to see if it would settle better and let the yeast clean up any by products. i forget the exact start date but it was around early march

it was a month from the begining of fermentation till i racked into secondary, but it was at final gravity after a week, sat for 3 more to see if it would settle better and let the yeast clean up any by products. i forget the exact start date but it was around early march

For a 13% ACV I am impressed that you seem to have a pleasant drinker so soon. I know with even more time, say even six months from now, this should be liquid gold. I think I may do some fruit shopping today and get out the juicer, give this a try--though I need to buy some Notty.

Do you have any idea how much AJC you used to carb this--thinking enough to increase FG by 0.003 should do it? No pasteurization used, correct?

For a 13% ACV I am impressed that you seem to have a pleasant drinker so soon. I know with even more time, say even six months from now, this should be liquid gold. I think I may do some fruit shopping today and get out the juicer, give this a try--though I need to buy some Notty.

Do you have any idea how much AJC you used to carb this--thinking enough to increase FG by 0.003 should do it? No pasteurization used, correct?

I used 2 fluid ounces per gallon. And no pasteurizing

Back