Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Building a round cooler mash tun, have a question.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
Whippy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Default Building a round cooler mash tun, have a question.

Up until now, I have been reasonable happy with BIAB, but providence has shined on me and I found a 10 gallon Gott cooler at the thrift store for $6 USD.

Now I am wanting to build a mash tun which appears to be easy enough, but I have a slight problem. The cooler I have is kind of old, so I don't want to trust the inner seal that is currently attached to the plastic spigot.

What would you suggest I purchase to replace this existing inner seal with? What material washer/seal will I need and of what dimensions?

All the build tutorials I have seen online say to just use the existing seal on the inside.

thank you

Old 05-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
FermentedTed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I used the same silicone gasket that you find on all of the weldless fitting kits out there... red o-ring style. Check out Bargain Fittings online. I've been happy with everything I've gotten from them.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
Whippy
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Ok, that sounds great! Thanks so much. cheers