question about my strawberry wine - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > question about my strawberry wine
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 05-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
OLDsheepHumper
Recipes 

May 2013
San Antonio, TX

its my first batch of anything and im already unsure about it.
its on day 3 of the primary fermentation and everytime i open the bucket to stir (which i do daily as per instruction) there is a layer of dried film an inch thick on top. it quickly dissolves when i stir it in but is ever present the next day. i juiced the strawberries in a food processor and floated the pulp in the bucket with a nylon bag. i did mess up and pitch the wine yeast in without pre-activating it. its a 2gal batch with 8 lbs of strawberries, 4 lbs of corn sugar, and 2 lbs of spring water. (as well as all the other ingredients from the recipe book). I couldnt find anything about the dry film online, could it indicate contamination? also, according to my portions of ingredients could anyone guesstimate my ABV%?
any advice or criticism is appreciated.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
novalou
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDsheepHumper
its my first batch of anything and im already unsure about it.
its on day 3 of the primary fermentation and everytime i open the bucket to stir (which i do daily as per instruction) there is a layer of dried film an inch thick on top. it quickly dissolves when i stir it in but is ever present the next day. i juiced the strawberries in a food processor and floated the pulp in the bucket with a nylon bag. i did mess up and pitch the wine yeast in without pre-activating it. its a 2gal batch with 8 lbs of strawberries, 4 lbs of corn sugar, and 2 lbs of spring water. (as well as all the other ingredients from the recipe book). I couldnt find anything about the dry film online, could it indicate contamination? also, according to my portions of ingredients could anyone guesstimate my ABV%?
any advice or criticism is appreciated.
My guess it is foam that is making a layer on top and the bubbles dry out a bit.

Keep stirring it daily. How does it smell?

My guess you'll be around 11% ABV.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
MandiNKel
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Dewsbury, West Yorkshire

I'm doing strawberry wine to.

Nothing to worry about mine had a thick froth on top too, top bubbles looked a bit like bath scum! But passed that stage now

Old 05-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
OLDsheepHumper
Recipes 

May 2013
San Antonio, TX

still smells fairly good. kind of like strawberry margarita and still a fairly dark shade of red as opposed to that pink hue im used to seeing. after seeing the expensive strawberries i used for the batch i already have people clawing at me for a bottle. thx for the support, ill try not to disappoint.