Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East USA > Maryland HomeBrew Forum > Group By in/around Elkridge/Columbia/Ellicott City/Laurel

Old 05-07-2013, 02:02 AM   #1
wfowlks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Group By in/around Elkridge/Columbia/Ellicott City/Laurel

Anyone interested in getting together for a group buy group. I have a mill, and I can get 55 lb bags for close to a dollar a pound and would be willing to buy different hops/grain. I do have a grain mill that can crush the grain if you need but I am just trying to save some money, and possibly try some new stuff that I wouldn't have thought to make before. I just don't like having a ton of grain on hand as it attracts mice and other rodents.

I am looking to put together a group that makes a few purchases a year, or as the group decides, possibly like a pairing purchase. Most likely I see this shaping up to be an email list where we can float purchase requests around and then find other people interested and or trade/sell left over grains from previous bulk purchases

Post if your interested and I'll get in contact to set up further details.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
PeteNMA
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm interested if we can get milled grain at $1/lb. The real problem I had with the MD/DC grain group buy in the end was the time it'd take to offset the cost of a mill by buying the grain in bulk.

I'm mostly interested in Maris Otter and Munich (preferably the dark type) in quantity.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:51 AM   #3
wfowlks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I bought a corona mill for 26$ and motorized it, with 1 bag purchase it would pay for itself considering the cost of 2 row pale malt is ~ 2$/lb, and the cost of a 55lb bag is 59 + tax. But I am also interested in Maris Otter, and was about to buy a bag I'll Pm you

Old 05-08-2013, 02:10 AM   #4
PeteNMA
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I pay $1.35 per lb for 2-row, and I've tried using a corona mill and not found it satisfactory for my setup, either too coarse or too fine whereas the setup at MDHB works great every time.

MO is more expensive yes, but I only need a sack every six months or so so offsetting even a barley crusher would take longer than I can afford to invest right now

Old 05-08-2013, 02:25 AM   #5
wfowlks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

They will crush the 55lb bags for you so if we can get enough people to use the whole bag.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
scoundrel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use buckets with gamma seals, so that I can store grain up to 2 years and have a mill, but I might be interested in going in on a grain that I use less often like munich or vienna. I cringe when I see how much I spend on a few pounds of Vienna.

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 05-09-2013, 02:25 AM   #7
wfowlks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I'm buying some hops and Hop extract from http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com, the shipping is $6 for up to 4 lbs, I have 1.2 lbs. If anyone else wants to order some hops let me know, and I'll add your order. The prices are actually really good for hops. Let me know.