First beer taste like apples.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ME_Brewski

Reaction score
Just drank my first batch and it tastes like apples. It was a classic American light kit. 2 weeks primary, and 2.5 weeks bottles. Multiple tasters agreeded that it tastes like apples without being told beforehand. What did I do wrong?

Might just be green. Let it sit:

Acetaldehyde
A flavor of green apples or freshly cut pumpkin; it is an intermediate compound in the formation of alcohol. Some yeast strains produce more than others, but generally it's presence indicates that the beer is too young and needs more time to condition.

I agree my very first try a mr beer kit tasted like that, left it sit in the bottles 6 weeks and ended up tasting like coors lite. Not that I like coors but just for comparision and of coarse I have since graduated to better kits and the proper equipment

Yep that was what mine was the apple taste will go away with time, if you like the hobby you will want to look into better equipment and beer kits. The mr beer kits work but for the cost and flavor of the beer just not worth while IMHO

Yeah, the kit came as a present and my next batch is a nut Brown ale that will be bottled in 2 days. I think I'm going to do th 15 min cascade pale ale next.

Did you add excessive sugar to the batch to up the alcohol percentage? Is there any chance your sanitation was not up to par? Cidery tastes can be attributed to excessive corn or table sugar additions and certain bacterial strains can actually contribute a green apple (acetaldehyde as mentioned by masskrug) flavor. Let it sit.

Back