Sierra nevada pale ale clone fermentation - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sierra nevada pale ale clone fermentation

Old 05-06-2013, 04:46 AM   #1
HomeBrewerB
Recipes 

Mar 2013
Santa Cruz, CA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Brewed last Sunday at a OG of 1.052. No signs of airlock activity after a week and yes I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I pitched the wlp001 with no starter at ~75* :-/
Should I....
A) crack open and take a gravity reading and risk oxidation
B)add a pack of Us 05
C) wait it out and let it do it's thing
Thanks!
Drinking: Caribou Slobber Brown Ale, California Wheat, Irish Red
Up Next: Extra Pale Ale, Blonde RYE

Old 05-06-2013, 05:14 AM   #2
woozy
Recipes 

Mar 2013
Liked 130 Times on 109 Posts

After a week is a good wait.

I'd vote A 1/2) Open and look for signs of fermentation (krausan ring, yeast floaties, bubble film, etc.) If yes, close lid and C. If no, A. (Minimal risk of oxidation-- no more than you are going to do when it's done) If reading is lower than o.g. C. If reading is same as o.g. B)

At least that's what I think. Others?

dozer5454 Likes This 
Old 05-06-2013, 05:31 AM   #3
NeedsMoreHops
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Santa Fe, NM
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i agree with woozy.
take the gravity reading, oxidation risk is extremely minimal. if you don't stir it up you're not adding oxygen. if there's a krausen ring, you really don't need to worry. taste it, smell it...no rotten eggs or other nastiness and you're probably fine.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #4
HomeBrewerB
Recipes 

Mar 2013
Santa Cruz, CA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If there is no krausen ring and gravity has not changed should I aerate before repitching

Old 05-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
mo_feezy
Recipes 

May 2012
Salina, KS
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm assuming you're in a bucket. I usually will put a strong flashlight up to the lid (pointing down) and can see the kreuzen ring (if it is there) without opening the lid. I'd do that, then at least I would know if fermentation happened.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
HomeBrewerB
Recipes 

Mar 2013
Santa Cruz, CA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am in a bucket and I just did your trick by looking under a blanket with my iPhones LED light shining through and I see krausen ring!
Must have just been a leak I guess?
It' didnt get as tall as my IIPA right next to it but I think that's just due to higher alcohol + white labs San Diego super yeast. I just cracked the IPA open to dry hop right into the primary and there were yeasties floating around but looks healthy and smells great

mo_feezy Likes This 
Old 05-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
mo_feezy
Recipes 

May 2012
Salina, KS
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sounds good. I think every yeast acts different, and every recipe, and the temp will affect it as well. I've got 2 buckets with the same brew that had different sized kreuzen rings, even with the same yeast, same temp, and same recipe. I guess i'll have to wait to see if they taste any different, but when I dry hopped the other day they both smell awesome.