Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Fist Mead / Vigorous Fermentation

Old 05-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
Getzinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
Which is the whole point. The whisking/stirring/shaking is to add some air/O2 for yeast development. It has the side effect of de-gassing the dissolved CO2, which is necessary to prevent mead eruptions when adding staggered nutrients.......
I hear what you're saying, and I might go back to the electric. I just honestly had a really hard time controlling the massive amount of bubbles from the degassing and aeration combined.

Maybe I'll go manual for degassing, then electric for aeration. Just so much less of a hassle not dealing with the electric. I'm so lazy...

Old 05-21-2013, 03:29 AM   #12
Getzinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Well ya fat bloke, I continue following your advice, and I can't say I'm disappointed. I've mastered the technique of using my "electric whisk". Definitely works better, as you know.

Another question I have: should I be noticing any distinct smells while degassing? I don't want to call it "sulphur-like", but I can't put my finger on what it is exactly.

Also: Just noticed I titled this thread "fist mead" instead of "first". Hahaha, so silly.