Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > wine kit not clearing
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
Vox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 366
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default wine kit not clearing

Good morning all. I have my first wine kit, a Chardonnay, that should be ready to bottle but is very cloudy towards the bottom even after giving it an extra week as the directions recommend if not yet clear. Please see my picture and give me your opinions and any advice. I would greatly appreciate it as this batch is a present for my parents. Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130505_104523.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	120109



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130505_104551.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	120110



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130505_104618.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	120111


__________________
In The Primary: Dude Where's My Pants Ceyser and Blood of the Dragon (my version of Unicorn Blood)

Bottle Conditioning: Skeeter Pee

Aging: Joe's Ancient Orange Mead
Vox is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
Jon73
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 258
Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default

My wife has done a few wine kits and has had no problems. I would advise the obvious, re-read the directions and make sure you have followed them as exactly as possible. Temps, racking, lengths of time, chemical additions, etc. I do seem to recall it took a while for the lees to settle out. Did the kit come with a clarifying agent? (Sparkalloid, polyclar). Cold crashing is also an option.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/finishin.asp


Jon73 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
Vox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 366
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon73 View Post
My wife has done a few wine kits and has had no problems. I would advise the obvious, re-read the directions and make sure you have followed them as exactly as possible. Temps, racking, lengths of time, chemical additions, etc. I do seem to recall it took a while for the lees to settle out. Did the kit come with a clarifying agent? (Sparkalloid, polyclar). Cold crashing is also an option.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/finishin.asp
I did everything per the instructions. Temps and all. I don't have the instructions on hand, but I've used all of the chemicals included and degassed it pretty good. It's been over a week since the estimated bottling date.
__________________
In The Primary: Dude Where's My Pants Ceyser and Blood of the Dragon (my version of Unicorn Blood)

Bottle Conditioning: Skeeter Pee

Aging: Joe's Ancient Orange Mead
Vox is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Inner10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 512
Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

I'll bet ya dollars to stale donuts you didn't fully degass it. So either wait 6 months or put some vacuum on it.
__________________
Drank too much?...Is that a thing?
Inner10 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
novalou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 600
Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox

I did everything per the instructions. Temps and all. I don't have the instructions on hand, but I've used all of the chemicals included and degassed it pretty good. It's been over a week since the estimated bottling date.
Be patient with clearing, it will eventually clear. It takes time.
novalou is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Bluespark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 417
Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

Default

I have a 6 month old apple/strawberry that is still naturally clearing/degassing. Time is your friend
Bluespark is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
Vox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 366
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
I'll bet ya dollars to stale donuts you didn't fully degass it. So either wait 6 months or put some vacuum on it.
I degassed it til there was just a little psst after shaking the test sample. I thought I read you need to add additional chemicals if plan to age the kit more than a few months. Does the separation in the picture look normal?
__________________
In The Primary: Dude Where's My Pants Ceyser and Blood of the Dragon (my version of Unicorn Blood)

Bottle Conditioning: Skeeter Pee

Aging: Joe's Ancient Orange Mead
Vox is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
Inner10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 512
Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox View Post

I degassed it til there was just a little psst after shaking the test sample. I thought I read you need to add additional chemicals if plan to age the kit more than a few months. Does the separation in the picture look normal?
You just need to put a little bit of sulfites in it if you want to keep it longer. Grab a bottle of camden tabs crush a few up, mix in warm water and pour in.

It doesn't look unnatural, what fining agent did you use?


__________________
Drank too much?...Is that a thing?
Inner10 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Wine not clearing 14wiggles14 Wine Making Forum 5 03-20-2013 12:38 AM
Wine clearing Jdaught Wine Making Forum 11 10-30-2012 09:05 PM
Clearing Wine OHIOSTEVE Wine Making Forum 3 09-27-2009 03:35 AM
wine clearing tonytenn Wine Making Forum 2 02-14-2008 01:37 PM
Clearing wine Dark_Ale Wine Making Forum 3 02-10-2007 05:41 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS